Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR Reg Changes for next year
The current DWR newsletter lists some approved changes for the coming year.

LINK TO ARTICLE
I'm liking the 6 pole rules. Might have to hit causey and the pig a little more now
(09-21-2024, 04:25 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: I'm liking the 6 pole rules. Might have to hit causey and the pig a little more now

I am against the 6 pole rule.  Why?  
1)  How did they come up with 6?  Why not 5?  Why not 10?  Why not 12?  The limit on Porcupine is 12 kokes?   Seems very random.  UDWR was tasked with simplifying regs on all waters for many years.  Now we are adding special regs once again.
2)  Trying to keep track of 2 poles is sometimes all one can do.  I can speak from experience that I would miss more fish trying to pay attention to more than 2 poles.  Jawjackers might help some but it just seems unnecessary. 
3)  Why not open all waters to 6 poles for ice fishing instead of a few?  Idaho does that, even on Bear Lake (unless they recently changed that?)  
4)  It is very strange that this summer Adam Eakle and the sport's segment on the news were encouraging "harvest" of bluegill on Pelican Reservoir.  Yet beginning in 2025, the limit on bluegill will be 15 with only 5 over 8".  I rarely see anyone keeping bluegill less than 8" in length.  So, in effect, the bluegill limit on Pelican will be 5 bluegill.  Yet, they will allow 6 rods through the ice? 
Maybe it is just me, but these particular proposed reg changes and the message we were being fed by television/social media on some of these waters just don't make sense.  
Maybe if I were fishing for catfish or carp would I ever consider using 6 poles (....think trot-lines, jug fishing from the midwest, etc.).  When jigging for kokes, lake trout, etc. I find that you need to pay attention to bites and hook them immediately, or you will most likely miss that fish.  If the UDWR wanted more harvest then make the waters where 6 poles are proposed a mandatory harvest of kokes, lakers, etc. 
Ok, I'll step off my soapbox.
(09-21-2024, 04:51 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: 4)  It is very strange that this summer Adam Eakle and the sport's segment on the news were encouraging "harvest" of perch on Pelican Reservoir.  Yet beginning in 2025, the limit on perch will be 15 with only 5 over 8".  I rarely see anyone keeping perch less than 8" in length.  So, in effect, the perch limit on Pelican will be 5 perch.  Yet, they will allow 6 rods through the ice? 

I think you meant Bluegill. Wink
(09-21-2024, 04:51 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote:
(09-21-2024, 04:25 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: I'm liking the 6 pole rules. Might have to hit causey and the pig a little more now

1)  How did they come up with 6?  Why not 5?  Why not 10?  Why not 12?  The limit on Porcupine is 12 kokes?   Seems very random.  UDWR was tasked with simplifying regs on all waters for many years.  Now we are adding special regs once again.
2)  Trying to keep track of 2 poles is sometimes all one can do.  I can speak from experience that I would miss more fish trying to pay attention to more than 2 poles.  Jawjackers might help some but it just seems unnecessary. 
3)  Why not open all waters to 6 poles for ice fishing instead of a few?  Idaho does that, even on Bear Lake (unless they recently changed that?)  
4)  It is very strange that this summer Adam Eakle and the sport's segment on the news were encouraging "harvest" of perch on Pelican Reservoir.  Yet beginning in 2025, the limit on perch will be 15 with only 5 over 8".  I rarely see anyone keeping perch less than 8" in length.  So, in effect, the perch limit on Pelican will be 5 perch.  Yet, they will allow 6 rods through the ice? 
Maybe it is just me, but these particular proposed reg changes and the message we were being fed by television/social media on some of these waters just don't make sense.  
Maybe if I were fishing for catfish or carp would I ever consider using 6 poles (....think trot-lines, jug fishing from the midwest, etc.).  When jigging for kokes, lake trout, etc. I find that you need to pay attention to bites and hook them immediately, or you will most likely miss that fish.  If the UDWR wanted more harvest then make the waters where 6 poles are proposed a mandatory harvest of kokes, lakers, etc. 

I find 6 to be no less arbitrary than the current 2. I fish alone from my boat the majority of the time and would love to get out as many as possible to establish a pattern then cut back on the number with the winning pattern. If the catching is good two poles can be too many but catching is not always good.
Does this mean that there are no longer prohibited species and there are no limits on them? Will someone please explain to me what this means?

"Allowing anglers to kill and possess the fish they catch that are included on the prohibited species list and asking anglers to report those fish to the DWR. (Currently, anglers must release all prohibited fish species that they catch, including potentially harmful species.)"
Kent, I have no idea what that means, and neither will any game warden. Except that it means "prohibited" isn't.
Too bad the State is still allowing the theft of the Expo tags to be stolen from the general public.
No wonder point creep is happenening and the increasingly harder and harder opportunity to draw a tag is growing also.
Those appx. 500 tags belong in the public draw.
(09-21-2024, 02:23 PM)TubeDude Wrote: The current DWR newsletter lists some approved changes for the coming year.

LINK TO ARTICLE

I like the changes they have for the gorge, I think getting back on the same page as Wyoming is a good call. 
Also I think that removing the laker limit will be good for those who are trying to catch Kill or keep them, be nice to see some more folks get out and catch some as well (be a great way to get a group of kids out catching)
Interesting to read the comments from different anglers...who fish different waters...for different species...preferring different tcchniques...and with varying degrees of catch-and-consume preferences.  While some of the verbiage in the proposed new changes still leaves some questions...or may seem either strange or misdirected...I applaud DWR for at least listening and trying to keep Utah tanglers happy.  

Gotta have some sympathy for them though.  No matter what they try to accomplish there will always be individuals or groups that find fault with it.  And when it comes to managing all of Utah's waters....   Well, you can't manage the unmanageable.  And with the up and down water years and other variables in Mama Nature's "management plan" it becomes very difficult.  Especially since it takes forecasting at least a couple of years into the future to get a change through the process and in place.  Last I heard, DWR had no budget for crystal balls.
(09-23-2024, 02:37 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Interesting to read the comments from different anglers...who fish different waters...for different species...preferring different tcchniques...and with varying degrees of catch-and-consume preferences.  While some of the verbiage in the proposed new changes still leaves some questions...or may seem either strange or misdirected...I applaud DWR for at least listening and trying to keep Utah tanglers happy.  

Gotta have some sympathy for them though.  No matter what they try to accomplish there will always be individuals or groups that find fault with it.  And when it comes to managing all of Utah's waters....   Well, you can't manage the unmanageable.  And with the up and down water years and other variables in Mama Nature's "management plan" it becomes very difficult.  Especially since it takes forecasting at least a couple of years into the future to get a change through the process and in place.  Last I heard, DWR had no budget for crystal balls.
I'm smiling and agreeing with your comments 100%.  The DWR will never succeed at satisfying 100% of the people pursuing fish and/or game.  I'll continue to pursue both fish and game and follow the rules to the best of my ability.  And I'll also offer kudos to the DWR men & women that try to make it work for all of us as well as for the flora and fauna throughout the state.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I fish Willard Bay, mostly from shore, sometimes from a boat, and I don't understand the change from 50 to 15 Perch limit.

I have fished WB for a lot of years and have never caught a Perch! Probably because I don't specifically target them, but the methods I use could invite a Perch bite once in awhile. I have never fished WB thru the ice, because most years I don't trust the conditions.

I see others on Bigfishtackle reporting catching Perch, but only a few here and there.

So why the change in limit, when I don't believe there is a large population of the species in WB?
(09-23-2024, 05:22 PM)Crimson Wrote: I fish Willard Bay, mostly from shore, sometimes from a boat, and I don't understand the change from 50 to 15 Perch limit.

I have fished WB for a lot of years and have never caught a Perch!  Probably because I don't specifically target them, but the methods I use could invite a Perch bite once in awhile.  I have never fished WB thru the ice, because most years I don't trust the conditions.

I see others on Bigfishtackle reporting catching Perch, but only a few here and there. 

So why the change in limit, when I don't believe there is a large population of the species in WB?

That's one that puzzles me. A few years ago the perch were far less numerous...and I even did a writeup on trying to give them some help.  Since then the population has greatly increased and it is possible to catch 50 -100 in a day...if you know how and where to fish for them.  I think the proposed decrease in limits is overdue and now unneccessary.  But...as with many regulations...all I can do is shake my head and accept them.
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll have to try for Perch, especially from a boat. I know they have some size, since the ones reported seem to be tending toward the "jumbo" size. Tight lines!
(09-23-2024, 07:30 PM)Crimson Wrote: Thanks for the response.  I guess I'll have to try for Perch, especially from a boat.  I know they have some size, since the ones reported seem to be tending toward the "jumbo" size.  Tight lines!
Here's something I posted last year.  Might give you some ideas for launching your own pursuit.  My observations have been that there is an almost exponential explosion of perch...due to good spawning and lots of food (baby perch and baby shad).    Every year more and more perch are caught by anglers trolling cranks at mach 3 for walleyes and wipers.  Those are anomalies and if they show up that way there are a lot of them.  When they really move into the traditional fall feedup spots they can be thick...and hungry.  Here is a sonar view of a large school from a couple of years ago.
[Image: PERCH-SIDE-SCAN.jpg]

.pdf   PORKY PERCH OF WILLARD BAY.pdf (Size: 3.17 MB / Downloads: 22)
(09-23-2024, 05:22 PM)Crimson Wrote: I fish Willard Bay, mostly from shore, sometimes from a boat, and I don't understand the change from 50 to 15 Perch limit.

I have fished WB for a lot of years and have never caught a Perch!  Probably because I don't specifically target them, but the methods I use could invite a Perch bite once in awhile.  I have never fished WB thru the ice, because most years I don't trust the conditions.

They are trying to give the Perch a chance to establish a stronger population so the rest of the predators have something to eat in the spring and early summer each year.
(09-23-2024, 09:24 PM)Bassin_Blitz Wrote:

They are trying to give the Perch a chance to establish a stronger population so the rest of the predators have something to eat in the spring and early summer each year.
The perch spawn before the shad.  So there are baby perch to eat before the shad are large enough.   They definitely contribute to the food base.  And what a lot of folks don't realize is that baby carp show up well before the shad so they too are part of the early forage base.  

It ain't only the baby perch that get eaten either.  I filleted a two footer catfish a couple of weeks ago that had an 8" perch in its gut.   And I've seen lots of "yearling" 5 and 6 inch perch in walleyes and wipers.
Love the Pictures of those big Perch! Thanks for the great information. The Side imaging sonar picture is very informative. Just the shear amount of fish is astonishing.
(09-21-2024, 04:51 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote:

4)  It is very strange that this summer Adam Eakle and the sport's segment on the news were encouraging "harvest" of perch on Pelican Reservoir.  Yet beginning in 2025, the limit on perch will be 15 with only 5 over 8".  I rarely see anyone keeping perch less than 8" in length.  So, in effect, the perch limit on Pelican will be 5 perch.  Yet, they will allow 6 rods through the ice? 

I won't speak to all the reg changes, but I might be able to help in regards to the origination of the 6-pole ice regulation.  That's a special icefishing provision that Wyoming Game and Fish offers and after burbot were introduced into Flaming Gorge back in 2006, WGFD and UDWR adopted the 6-pole icefishing regulation to increase harvest on burbot.  It's highly effective for certain species, like burbot, allowing you to put out multiple poles, tip-ups, and hook setting devices and spread those gears across a larger area.  I used to use tip-ups, but now tend to use Jaw Jackers, especially for burbot and trout.  Unlike a tip-up when you miss the flag, fish that hit a Jacker don't have a chance to swallow the bait.  I have also caught kokanee and lake trout on my Jackers, but less frequently.

Hope it helps!  Ryno
I'd still like to see the additional rods for Cutler ice fishing since it is so hard to find fish there in the winter, but I'm glad they dropped the Cutler crappie limit. Seems like the ones that chase crappie on Cutler are the bucket harvesters and so once the fish finally build up their numbers, the bucket crew shows up and wipes out the fish for five or six years... Anyway I'm happy that the F&G look at suggestions and act upon them... Pretty sure I may have been the culprit that put that Cutler crappie limit change on their radar.. Don't expect it is a highly studied body of water so I don't' think they would have done that without a suggestion... Maybe so, but I expect it didn't hurt to ask about it... but I did try to get them to allow more rods for ice fishing Cutler and that didn't happen, so you don't always get everything that you want... I expected since very few ever ice fish that pond that they might do it, but I guess the ice is so dangerous out here, maybe they didn't want to encourage ice fishing here due to the hazards... I'd really like to be able to set a rod for cats, one for carp and jig for crappie and see what will bite, but oh well guess I've got to choose my two best options... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!