Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
170 Elk culled
Utah wildlife officials secretly culled 170 elk on Deseret ranch land.
The salt lake tribune is reporting about the secret operation of thinning the elk heard and then donating the meat.
No hunters were given the opportunity to harvest the elk.
(09-11-2024, 03:16 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Utah wildlife officials secretly culled 170 elk on Deseret ranch land.
The salt lake tribune is reporting about the secret operation of thinning the elk heard and then donating the meat.
No hunters were given the opportunity to harvest the elk.

I guided on DL&L for a few years back in the 90's and never heard of such a thing. I know since they started leasing their hunts out to an outfitter things have changed alot. They used to have two full time Biologists that worked there Wildlife Manager Rick Danvir and Biologist Bob Wharff. They did a great job on controlling the hunts and keeping the animal population in check. I have heard from friends that use to guide with me as well and they said the current wildlife management is not doing a very good job of controlling the various game populations.
Don't know why the state seems to hate elk so much, but you'd think they could have figured out a way to give hunters an opportunity rather than them doing the slaughter... Guess the big hurt is those private ranches draw all the animals off the public and then the state slaughters them because there are too many on the private ground... Should figure out how to push them out of the ranch and back to public ground... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!