Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek - creek report
It has been crazy busy starting school back up and getting my student Tiny House crew rolling again but i have been adventuring also and will try to catch up on reports...

Had a special opportunity to be up on the upper end of Lost Creek reservoir a couple weeks back. During a quick lunch break I fished the inlet stream. Was hoping to see some salmon spawning but did not see any. However small cuties were plentiful and very willing to play peek-a-boo with my Royal Wuff. Grouse and Chukers seen but not harassed. Elk were singing.

Lots of work being done in preparation to open this area of the state park to the general public. It will sure open up opportunities for us bank tanglers. 

Quick video of that section of stream. Bad news is I broke my flyrod tip off battling those little monsters. Actually twas a willow who claimed my prize rod tip.

https://youtu.be/8iOYQJGNAHY
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I watched your fishing link and it was great brought back old memories.. loved your connection to your grouse hunting I once did lots of grouse hunting up Logan way and Monte Christo. Can't manage that hillside timber anymore. Love eating those birds.
Thanks good memories
(09-19-2024, 12:36 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: It has been crazy busy starting school back up and getting my student Tiny House crew rolling again but i have been adventuring also and will try to catch up on reports...

Had a special opportunity to be up on the upper end of Lost Creek reservoir a couple weeks back. During a quick lunch break I fished the inlet stream. Was hoping to see some salmon spawning but did not see any. However small cuties were plentiful and very willing to play peek-a-boo with my Royal Wuff. Grouse and Chukers seen but not harassed. Elk were singing.

Lots of work being done in preparation to open this area of the state park to the general public. It will sure open up opportunities for us bank tanglers. 

Quick video of that section of stream. Bad news is I broke my flyrod tip off battling those little monsters. Actually twas a willow who claimed my prize rod tip.

I loved your grouse hunting video, made me realize I need to get the old scatter gun out next year. My boys need that experience as well, definitely going to give a try.
(09-19-2024, 02:40 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I watched your fishing link and it was great brought back old memories.. loved your connection to your grouse hunting I once did lots of grouse hunting up Logan way and Monte Christo.  Can't manage that hillside timber anymore. Love eating those birds.
Thanks good memories

I am gona be up that way this weekend. But I agree those hills don't get any easier each year.

(09-19-2024, 07:33 PM)chubby chaser Wrote:
(09-19-2024, 12:36 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: It has been crazy busy starting school back up and getting my student Tiny House crew rolling again but i have been adventuring also and will try to catch up on reports...

I loved your grouse hunting video, made me realize I need to get the old scatter gun out next year. My boys need that experience as well, definitely going to give a try.

Last week I pulled my old Ithaca 20g pump out of the closet. Dad gave it to me as a teenager. It was getting lonley so we went and shared a sunrise togther. Found a dusky grouse that volunteered for the table
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew

Nice quick video. I enjoyed it. Sad that the tree bandit caught the tip. You said it’s a Cabela’s 3wt. I’ll be looking for a short 3-4 wt in a bit. After I heal from my surgery.  I’m having a hard time deciding on fiberglass or graphite. What Cabellas fly rod were you using?
(09-21-2024, 05:57 AM)JazzyM Wrote:

Nice quick video. I enjoyed it. Sad that the tree bandit caught the tip. You said it’s a Cabela’s 3wt. I’ll be looking for a short 3-4 wt in a bit. After I heal from my surgery.  I’m having a hard time deciding on fiberglass or graphite. What Cabellas fly rod were you using?

Mine is Graphite but I have a fiberglass fly rod also. I am not sure I have a preference 

Oh on a side note I was up in that area again this weekend. I did not fish but I did check the creek and did not see any spawning salmon. A little worried about that.
Seems like that’s my quandary. I have vintage fenwicks, glass, and graphite Redington and fenwick. I like all depending on how I feel and what I’m doing. Where I’m fishing. Guess I’ll have to get both types and go from there. Plus reel. Plus line. Uhhh ohhh. Now I need an excuse for more equipment ?

No spawners? Strange
(09-26-2024, 02:47 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Oh on a side note I was up in that area again this weekend. I did not fish but I did check the creek and did not see any spawning salmon. A little worried about that.

Since they started stocking the kokes in LC, I've been wondering where they actually put them in at, if the simply put them in at the ramp, they might never head for a stream to spawn. Before we started getting into a wet cycle again, there was so little water in that stream, I'm not sure they could even spawn there, but it sounds like there is more water there now, but do you think there is a place to back a stocking truck up to, to release the kokes when they stock them, if they stock them in that stream?
Here is something interesting: "Monitoring Report. System: Lost Creek Reservoir. Sampling Dates: 4/20/2022"
https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/fish/techn...report.pdf

"Evaluate the stocking program of Kokanee. Three years of stocking Kokanee were performed in an attempt to establish a naturally reproducing population. No stocking will be performed in 2023 because of a low number of broodstock spawning, limiting the number of offspring available to be stocked throughout the state. Additional years of catch and creel data are required to determine if the current stocking program is effective and the amount of fishing mortality being induced on this population. Additionally, collecting aging structures (see Management Action #5) will allow for catch curve and mortality estimates to be calculated."
(09-26-2024, 04:33 PM)JazzyM Wrote: Here is something interesting: "Monitoring Report. System: Lost Creek Reservoir. Sampling Dates: 4/20/2022"
https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/fish/techn...report.pdf

"Evaluate the stocking program of Kokanee. Three years of stocking Kokanee were performed in an attempt to establish a naturally reproducing population. No stocking will be performed in 2023 because of a low number of broodstock spawning, limiting the number of offspring available to be stocked throughout the state. Additional years of catch and creel data are required to determine if the current stocking program is effective and the amount of fishing mortality being induced on this population. Additionally, collecting aging structures (see Management Action #5) will allow for catch curve and mortality estimates to be calculated."

Thanks for the link. It does have some info about the first year they stocked the kokes, that year class were pretty low in number when they checked the gill nets. Not sure if those kokes were the ones that would be spawning this year but if it is, that would explain why Cowboy did not see any kokes in the stream.
It does seem to explain things just a bit. I’m hoping they spawn in the next few years. I think LC has good potential
They did spawn up the creek last year. I dont know in what numbers but a very good friend of mine that helps with a ranch up there saw them at the first culvert before the DLL gate. I will be up again next weekend and will let you know if I see any
Excellent!