Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodruff Creek Reservior
I stopped by Woodruff late this morning after my morning muzz hunt. Water level is about 25 ft below full pool (just guessing). Walked back into an area where I've done well in the past. And started casting jigs. Had one on briefly and another short strike, but they just didn't seem that interested. Threw some spoons for a bit, but not a single strike or follow that I was aware of.

There was some sporadic surface activity so I switched to a fly behind a bubble. 2nd cast and I connected with a beautiful colored cutt about 16". Not much girth but was a welcome end to a skunk. 

[Image: 20240926-103812.jpg]

My next cast was rewarded with another solid fish of about the same size. Love the spots and yellowish coloring on this fish.

[Image: 20240926-104209.jpg]

Both were released to fight again. I only caught 2 more after that, both about 12". The fly was the only producer today. Water was very cold to the touch. 

On a side note, I saw a flock of turkeys clear up on the top of Monte Cristo. I've never seen turkeys up so high.
Thanks for the report.  We never hear much from up that way.  

I haven't been there in years.  I always turn off the road and head west to one of my favorite fishing holes. Smile

It seems to me that there are only cutthroats in Woodruff Creek.
Good thing you packed some flies to compliment the usual hardware. How did the hunt go? Haven't chased them up there for a few years. Oh and the turkeys, used to be a good bunch that would hang around the group sites of the Monte Cristo campground. Not quite "on top" but not too far off.
(09-27-2024, 12:04 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Good thing you packed some flies to compliment the usual hardware. How did the hunt go? Haven't chased them up there for a few years. Oh and the turkeys, used to be a good bunch that would hang around the group sites of the Monte Cristo campground. Not quite "on top" but not too far off.
The hunt has been a bust so far. I put in a lot of miles yesterday in some steep country and turned up 2 does for all that effort. Today I hunted the low country and didn't even see a deer. I'll be back up in the steep stuff again tomorrow. My legs just aren't what they used to be, and I've hit the gym pretty hard this year.

Those turkeys weren't too far away from the campground, maybe a couple of miles is all. Just surprised me to see them up there.

I'm always packing an assortment of flies and lures. You just never know what is going to work.