Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Friday Grind
Today was tough with Joe and Mike we ended up with 11 cats, 1 small wiper and 1 Carp. We started off pelican beach hoping to see wiper boils, saw some bird action on the beach but didn’t get any. We made a move to the feed lot area and spent our time there, had a brief time with bird and wiper action there, Mike caught one wiper and Joe missed a couple wipers. Pistachio also known as Chartreuse with three red spots was our best color, 13-16’ was our best depth off of the feed lot. Fun day a bit of a grind but we found a few fish.
[Image: image000000.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2870.jpg]
Thanks for the report Shawn, looks like you three did pretty good, even if the numbers were lower than last week. Since you caught 11 but there are only 7 in your pic, were the rest too small to keep? Were you casting for the wipers or trolling?
(09-27-2024, 11:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Shawn, looks like you three did pretty good, even if the numbers were lower than last week. Since you caught 11 but there are only 7 in your pic, were the rest too small to keep? Were you casting for the wipers or trolling?

Joe had to leave at noon so I Filet two of our cats for him on the boat before dropping him off at the dock, then Mike and I went back out and caught 2 more and I filet all of the cats on the water. Mike caught the wiper on a rattletrap casting at some surface action. So we filet 2 before the picture and caught 2 more after it.
(09-28-2024, 12:28 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(09-27-2024, 11:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Shawn, looks like you three did pretty good, even if the numbers were lower than last week. Since you caught 11 but there are only 7 in your pic, were the rest too small to keep? Were you casting for the wipers or trolling?

Joe had to leave at noon so I Filet two of our cats for him on the boat before dropping him off at the dock, then Mike and I went back out and caught 2 more and I filet all of the cats on the water. Mike caught the wiper on a rattletrap casting at some surface action. So we filet 2 before the picture and caught 2 more after it.

How late did you stay out there today?
Good seeing you out there today and chatting. Dave and I started outside the south harbor and worked back to Freeway, chartreuse fligs with and without the 3 red dots worked best for us also with 14-18’ of water being the best. We pulled out around 1 and had gotten 7 cats with 1 break off at the boat and 2 perch 1 of which was around 12”s and went home with Dave the other was a 4”er so it and all the cats were released
(09-28-2024, 01:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-28-2024, 12:28 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

How late did you stay out there today?

Mike and I fished for an hour after we dropped Joe off. We packed it in just after 1pm.
Great day on the water. Sure can’t beat the weather right now! I would say it was “consistently slow”, but I would take that any day at Willard. Those cats put up a pretty good tussle right now. I thought Shawn had a really nice cat on when he pulled that carp out. Those fish can flat out bend a rod. It was fun to get out with Shawn and Joe.

I thought Shawn might throw Joe in the lake at one point. Joe really wanted to use a planer and bottom bounce a bit, but at such slow speed it was making some trouble with the fliggin poles. Joe was bound and determined, but in the end, the planer came in and another flig pole went out. I might have had a slight smirk on my face listening to the two banter back and forth. It was a good day on the water! ?
(09-28-2024, 02:17 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Great day on the water.  Sure can’t beat the weather right now!  I would say it was “consistently slow”, but I would take that any day at Willard.  Those cats put up a pretty good tussle right now.  I thought Shawn had a really nice cat on when he pulled that carp out.  Those fish can flat out bend a rod.  It was fun to get out with Shawn and Joe.

I thought Shawn might throw Joe in the lake at one point.  Joe really wanted to use a planer and bottom bounce a bit, but at such slow speed it was making some trouble with the fliggin poles. Joe was bound and determined, but in the end, the planer came in and another flig pole went out.  I might have had a slight smirk on my face listening to the two banter back and forth.  It was a good day on the water! ?
You know we would have probably caught a lot more fish, but somebody brought a banana on my boat.
Glad you had good weather.  Water temps?  Lookin' forward to next Friday.
(09-28-2024, 04:27 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(09-28-2024, 02:17 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Great day on the water.  Sure can’t beat the weather right now!  I would say it was “consistently slow”, but I would take that any day at Willard.  Those cats put up a pretty good tussle right now.  I thought Shawn had a really nice cat on when he pulled that carp out.  Those fish can flat out bend a rod.  It was fun to get out with Shawn and Joe.

I thought Shawn might throw Joe in the lake at one point.  Joe really wanted to use a planer and bottom bounce a bit, but at such slow speed it was making some trouble with the fliggin poles. Joe was bound and determined, but in the end, the planer came in and another flig pole went out.  I might have had a slight smirk on my face listening to the two banter back and forth.  It was a good day on the water! ?
You know we would have probably caught a lot more fish, but somebody brought a banana on my boat.

DOHHH!!!
Great getting on Willard again, and Shawn is always a gracious boat captain..I know it's just a dumb superstition, but I don't allow bananas on my boat either!..one time my grandson snuck one onboard at Lost Creek, and that was the only time I scraped my trailer light (busted) backing down that ramp, and we lost 2 complete outfits snagging bottom that day..no more bananas!..I'd say we had a very good A.M. fighting those cats, and I'll definitely try some of their cooking suggestions..Always good getting out with Mike (duck hunting or fishing) and Shawn, fishing...and maybe a duck hunt in his future?