Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wittle Willard Wipers
Spent most of the morning yesterday 9/28 at Willard with a friend and 5 combined kids.  The kids caught about 10 little wipers on the south end of the reservoir.  We were trolling flicker shads and shad raps straight behind the boat.  Every lure we had got hit at least once.  Water temperature started at 68 degrees up to 70 by the time we called it around 1:00. 

The lake was empty, the fish were biting, the bugs were biting.  It was a great day and some happy kids.
(09-29-2024, 10:35 PM)BoatBallast Wrote: Spent most of the morning yesterday 9/28 at Willard with a friend and 5 combined kids.  The kids caught about 10 little wipers on the south end of the reservoir.  We were trolling flicker shads and shad raps straight behind the boat.  Every lure we had got hit at least once.  Water temperature started at 68 degrees up to 70 by the time we called it around 1:00. 

The lake was empty, the fish were biting, the bugs were biting.  It was a great day and some happy kids.

Great report, thanks for sharing it with us. Were you on the East or West side of the lake? Were you using #5 or #7  flicker shad? Just wonder how deep you were trolling. How fast were you trolling?
It sure makes it better for kids when the fish cooperate. Great outing. Txs for the report
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-29-2024, 11:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, thanks for sharing it with us. Were you on the East or West side of the lake? Were you using #5 or #7  flicker shad? Just wonder how deep you were trolling. How fast were you trolling?

We started in Freeway Bay and trolled West along the South side of the lake.  There was a shelf that went from 12-14 feet of water that I more or less followed.  We were picking them up hot and heavy for about an hour, with a few before and after that hour.  We used both #5 and #7 flicker shad.  Also, used a 3" Mepps Comet Mino on a planer board.  They all got smashed. 

I was trolling on the main, neutral forward.  It varied from about 1.6 to 2.0mph. 

Great time.  The kids were pretty impressed with themselves for catching so many.   Wink
(09-30-2024, 03:52 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:
(09-29-2024, 11:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, thanks for sharing it with us. Were you on the East or West side of the lake? Were you using #5 or #7  flicker shad? Just wonder how deep you were trolling. How fast were you trolling?

We started in Freeway Bay and trolled West along the South side of the lake.  There was a shelf that went from 12-14 feet of water that I more or less followed.  We were picking them up hot and heavy for about an hour, with a few before and after that hour.  We used both #5 and #7 flicker shad.  Also, used a 3" Mepps Comet Mino on a planer board.  They all got smashed. 

I was trolling on the main, neutral forward.  It varied from about 1.6 to 2.0mph. 

Great time.  The kids were pretty impressed with themselves for catching so many.   Wink
Thanks for the added info.  How much line did you have out, when using that Mepps comet mino? My guess is that lure was close to the surface but is this the lure you were using:

[Image: mepps-comet-mino.webp]
I would rather have wittle wipers than no wipers. Happy times for the wittle ones. Nice day to be out on the boat with family.
(09-30-2024, 04:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the added info.  How much line did you have out, when using that Mepps comet mino? My guess is that lure was close to the surface but is this the lure you were using:

[Image: mepps-comet-mino.webp]

No problem at all.  I don't know how much line I had out.  I usually go 30-50ft on the planer boards and then out 80-90 feet from the boat on 
either side.  I was not down deep with the Comet Mino.  I think it was fishing pretty shallow.

My guess for what was happening is that we were about 11-12' down with the flicker shads and as we went over the shelf or dropoff into 14', the wipers were sitting there and couldn't resist a shad going right over their heads. 

We also saw a bunch of jumpers and a few birds diving during the hour of hot fishing.  I think it was just a feeding frenzy that we got into.

Yes, that's the lure I was using, except for the shad color rather than the rainbow trout color.  It's kind of a blue back and a white belly.
(09-30-2024, 05:29 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:
(09-30-2024, 04:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the added info.  How much line did you have out, when using that Mepps comet mino? My guess is that lure was close to the surface but is this the lure you were using:

No problem at all.  I don't know how much line I had out.  I usually go 30-50ft on the planer boards and then out 80-90 feet from the boat on 
either side.  I was not down deep with the Comet Mino.  I think it was fishing pretty shallow.

My guess for what was happening is that we were about 11-12' down with the flicker shads and as we went over the shelf or dropoff into 14', the wipers were sitting there and couldn't resist a shad going right over their heads. 

We also saw a bunch of jumpers and a few birds diving during the hour of hot fishing.  I think it was just a feeding frenzy that we got into.

Yes, that's the lure I was using, except for the shad color rather than the rainbow trout color.  It's kind of a blue back and a white belly.
Great, thanks again for the info. We are headed out there tomorrow, so we might give it a try, even if we don't keep any, it will be fun to catch a few, if we hit it just right.
(09-30-2024, 05:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great, thanks again for the info. We are headed out there tomorrow, so we might give it a try, even if we don't keep any, it will be fun to catch a few, if we hit it just right.

Awesome, good luck!  Our hot streak was from about 11:00 to 12:00.
(09-30-2024, 09:42 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:
(09-30-2024, 05:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great, thanks again for the info. We are headed out there tomorrow, so we might give it a try, even if we don't keep any, it will be fun to catch a few, if we hit it just right.

The good news is that you caught them later in the day, from what I've seen, the wiper bite is usually the first thing in the morning or late in the evening, so it's good to know we might catch them later in the morning too.
(10-01-2024, 01:20 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

The good news is that you caught them later in the day, from what I've seen, the wiper bite is usually the first thing in the morning or late in the evening, so it's good to know we might catch them later in the morning too.

Good luck.  I hope you find some all morning long.
Thanks for the report, great info and sounds like a fun trip for the kids... Making great memories... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(10-01-2024, 01:20 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

So how did you do curt?