Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling questions
When trolling with your kicker, and you have an electric bow mount, do you use the electric as a forward rudder only?  or do you apply power to the motor as well?  Say you are trolling 1.5 MPH, How much power? if any.

Thanks,
rj
(10-06-2024, 10:37 PM)Mr. J Wrote: When trolling with your kicker, and you have an electric bow mount, do you use the electric as a forward rudder only?  or do you apply power to the motor as well?  Say you are trolling 1.5 MPH, How much power? if any.

Thanks,
rj

Hey Richard, yes, I use my electric trolling motor to steer my boat and yes, I use power to the motor, usually I use a power setting around 2 to 2.5 depending on the wind. If I'm going over 1.5 mph I might go with a higher setting but it depends on the size of your boat and the wind. Unless you have a fin on your electric motor, then you might get by with a lower setting. Hope this helps.
Edit:
When you use your electric, all you need to do after you put it down, select N for North, then select auto pilot. This will help your motor stay on the course, you select. For myself, this makes it easier to watch my poles and see if you are getting bites, while trolling.
I have both a kicker and electric. I do NOT like "steering" with the electric. I'd rather steer with my steering wheel, since I link both my main motor and kicker together. It gives better response in my opinion. And yes, I've tried both ways.
Yes the electric motor up front is always on, In my boat when there is no wind and the kicker is in gear and at idle and my front trolling motor is set between 2-3 my boat goes 1.5 mph, I use the trolling motor to make fine speed adjustments and also to steer. I find that the boat is a lot more responsive steering from the front than the back. As the wind picks up I have to turn up the speed on the electric and the kicker I like to fish across the wind until it get strong enough to make rollers then I fish directly into it so that I can control my speed I typically don't like the wind at my back because I can not go as slow as I want to.
(10-07-2024, 04:32 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Yes the electric motor up front is always on, In my boat when there is no wind and the kicker is in gear and at idle and my front trolling motor is set between 2-3 my boat goes 1.5 mph, I use the trolling motor to make fine speed adjustments and also to steer. I find that the boat is a lot more responsive steering from the front than the back. As the wind picks up I have to turn up the speed on the electric and the kicker I like to fish across the wind until it get strong enough to make rollers then I fish directly into it so that I can control my speed I typically don't like the wind at my back because I can not go as slow as I want to.

I only troll with an electric motor and have found the same, its easier to steer with "front wheel drive" when the wind is blowing.  But I usually like to keep the wind at my back  when the breeze is light to reduce how much juice I have to use to drive into the wind.  When the wind is really blowing its hard to keep the boat straight so I put my nose into it and keep the motor on a higher setting.
Thank you! Your response is appreciated as well as helpful.

rj
Never purchased a bow mount electric, only a kicker attached to main motor and control with steering wheel.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
For those of you who just use your bow mount electric motor to troll. How long does your battery last. Are you using a lithium battery or AGM battery. Also do you have a fin mounted on your electric.
I only use my electric when trolling for trout (ie: slow). I steer with the main motor, and keep my electric bow-mount pointed straight ahead. It's always worked fine for me...

My batteries are VMax Tank AGM's (x2 for trolling motor). They last as long as I troll -- which most days is around 4-5 hours. I've never run out of juice yet.
(18.5' Ranger Reata 1850LS with 150hp 4-stoke Merc on the back, Minnkota Powerdrive v2 on the front)
I put my kicker just into gear, and I use my Minnkota for all steering and fine-tuning of speed. Usually I am between 3.5 and 5 on the settings, depending on desired speed and wind.

I have a 36v 100 AH lithium battery. It will last me about 4 long days of fishing before it is dead. I will never go back to a lead acid battery.