Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Lake Flats
I hit Silver Lake Flats tonight, was actually going to Tibble Fork but it was packed so we continued on up the canyon. This was my first time fishing the flats, we fished for about 1 hour 8-9pm. My daughter had a couple of strikes on a trout patterned kastmaster. But landed no fish. My youngest daughter didn't get any bites using worm. I tried a spoon and spinner but nothing.

Any tips on fishing this lake? Best spots and what bait to use?
[signature]
Is this the one up big cottonwood?
[signature]
SILVER LAKE FLATS IS UP AMERICAN FORK CANYON ABOVE TIBBLE FORK FISHING WAS A LITTLE SLOW PROBABLY BECAUSE IT HASN"T BEEN STOCKED YET I WOULD GUESS
[signature]
I have always had a lot of luck fishing with a worm and green garlic marshmellow or power nugets floating off of the bottom, If you blow up the worm or tip it with something that floats about 2-3 feet about a couple of sinkers you will knock them dead. For some reason they wont pick it up off of the bottom unless it is floating. As far as location I have done well pretty much anywhere on the lake, I have not experienced any one spot better than another. Hope this helps.

Fishingchic
[signature]
Whether or not you catch a fish, the scenery makes the drive up there worth it!
[signature]
THE ONE UP BIG COTTONWOOD IS SILVER LAKE, THE ONE UP ABOVE TIBBLE FORK IS SILVER LAKE FLATS, CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.
[signature]
I don't know about the lakes/reservoirs up Big Cottonwood. But if you hike about 1 mile up from Silver Lake Flats you will find Silver Lake.
[signature]
Did you read the posts about Tibble Fork and Silver Lake Flats from about a week ago?? I put some info in there about my luck there in the past. When all else fails you can catch fish on powerbait there. You don't have to cast far in that lake so use a single hook and you can release most of the power bait caught fish. I have had good luck off the dam and off the east shore line about 80 yards past where the river comes in. I have also seen a lot of fish caught in the mouth of where the river comes in.
[signature]
I've wondered this for quite some time now:

People here are always talking about Silver lake up above Brighton Ski Resort. The only Silver Lake that I ever heard of before that is the one that is about 1 mile above Silver Lake Flat Reservoir in American Fork Canyon. The thing is, Am. Fork Canyon and Big CottonWood Canyon are only separated by one mountain, right? So maybe it's the same lake and people are hiking up to it from both sides? Or maybe there are 2 of them that happen to have the same name. Anyone know for sure?
[signature]
I can help here. There is a Silver Lake at the top of Big Cottonwood canyon. It is near the road in a meadow and is well developed with a nice walkway. It has Brookies in it but is a put-and-take planter rainbow lake that receives intense fishing pressure. My family has a cabin nearby. There is also Silver lake Flats reservoir as mentioned. About 1-1/2 miles above this lake is another Silver lake. This one requires a moderate hike to get to and has brookies in it. Since it is well away from the road, it gets far less pressure. They are very different lakes. To make matters worse, I have noted on the Wasatch mtn. topo map a third "silver lake" to the North. I hope this helps.
[signature]
Hey thanks for clearing that up! Been wondering that since last fall.[angelic][crazy]
[signature]
just to keep up the state of cunfusion going here i was running around on toppozone last night i found a group of lakes S/E of brighton and in there was a lake called silver lake isle
[signature]
I couldn't find my Wasatch topo last night, but I believe that the "silver lake isle" was the third "Silver Lake" that I mentioned in my previous post and that I was in error in regards to the direction from the Brighton Silver Lake. That is not the American Fork canyon Silver lake either. I guess the miners and pioneers were name challenged when they started naming lakes back then, or they had only one thing on their minds. (silver) I'll keep looking for that map and nail this down.
[signature]
If anyone cares at this point, I did a triple check on the "3rd" silver lake and it is in Wasatch county to the SE (not N) of the Brighton "Silver Lake" and well NE of the "Silver Lake" in American Fork canyon. ("Whos" on first) FWIW, Big Cottonwood creek comes out of the Brighton Silver Lake, The north fork of American Fork Creek starts at the AF Silver lake, and who knows, maybe there is real silver in the 3rd one.
[signature]
I saw the same thing on the usgs map you just beat me to it.
[signature]
I'll be taking my wife float tubing up to Silver Lake Flats, American Fork Canyon, tonight so if anyone sees us out there floating around give a yell out and say hi.
[signature]