Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 12/31 Report
I started off year 2004 with Tincanfsh fishing Strawberry on New Year's Day, so it seemed only fitting to put 2004 to rest by fishing Strawberry with him. Fished the Marina area, we walked the furtherest of anyone to the north (almost to the first point). Watched a young man put his arm all the way to the shoulder through his ice hole trying to catch a fish that got off at the hole. I have a hunch he regretted doing that. Set up the shack in 19 1/2 feet of water. Caught about one half of the fish there, and then in early afternoon we went out and fished the deeper holes we had drilled earlier trying to find the fish before we put up the shack. When the schools would come through it was non-stop action for awhile. All fish we caught were cutts, with the largest going about 21 inches and all were in the slot. I ended up catching 13 and Tincanfsh caught 11. Missed more bites than we should have, and lost several that weren't educated to hold on. My best lures were a white and chartreuse Nils jigging lure and a silver Kastmaster. Tipping everything with a chunk of minnow was the ticket. Tincanfsh caught most of his on a jigging spoon and a jigging Rapala. Found out that Billy is of absolutely no help at all if one accidently hooks himself in an almost delicate place, because he can't quit laughing long enough to be of any help. He sure is a blessing in hauling the shacks and sleds up the hills though. The drive home was almost a whiteout to about Park City. Very grateful to get home in one piece and with no damage to the Suburban. Lots of slush on the ice near the boat ramp. We were fishing in on ice that was only about 3 1/2 inches thick, and further north the ice appeared to get much thinner.
[signature]
Thanks for the report . So how was the weather while fishing . Sunny and 55 degrees . I think I'm just about over the flu so I might go if it is tee shirt weather . Do wish it would of froze up a little more before all this snow .
[signature]
Thanks for the report Kent,hate that slush!
[signature]
It was actually sunny and over 55 degrees (inside of the shack) for a couple of hours in the afternoon. We had to open the shack for awhile to keep from melting. It was windy for part of the day, but it was a lot less windy than the forecast. The biggest problem was the constant snow. It probably snowed about 4 or 5 inches while we were there, and it was snowing heavily when we left.
[signature]
Kent,
I saw you there yesterday. You stopped and asked how the fishing was while we were sitting in the tent. By the time I got the door open to see who I was talking to you were to far away to hear me holler your name.

We didn't doo so well. I landed 2. We missed about 6 and that was the day. We left at 11:30. It was 80+ in our tent. Sure was a calm day compared to Salt Lake.

We are going to causy saturday and try our luck there.

kj
[signature]
THANKS FOR THE REPORT. SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DAY. FISHON...
[signature]
Hi Kevin. I asked several folks how they were doing, by talking to them through their ice shacks, on the way across, so not sure which one you were in. They all seemed to be doing about the same, at most one or two and not very large. I'm impressed if you recognized me from the back. Those sure were some beautiful fish that were caught off of Mud Creek. I enjoy being warm out on the ice but 80+ is a bit too warm!
[signature]
Hey Kent,

Thank's for the great, fun trip. We might not of caught many fish over 21" but we sure laughed alot. I don't know how you hook your self so much but it sure made it entertaining. We were able to see some of the fish hit our lure's just 2' under our ice holes.

Thanks again, Kent.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
I finally made it up myself on Friday for the first time in nearly 2 years.

We ended up going to the marina and heading out just SouthWest of the marina dock.

It seems we were doing about as well as anyone around there. It wasn't terribly fast, but quite fun. It didn't help that I forgot my fishfinder.

We ended up pulling out 9 fish and had one let go right at the hole. There were at least that many more bites that didn't come in. Twice we had fish hitting two poles at once (3 people fishing).

Most were around 17", I caught one 19", and my dad caught one really nice 21".

Overall a good day. Unfortunately it sounds like the snow is now quite deep and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get the snowmachines running well enough to take them up there. We had the ATV this time and I don't think that will be an option anymore.

I should just find someone familiar enough with snowmobiles to tune them up and offer ice fishing trips in trade (with my powerauger, shack, etc, etc) Smile
[signature]
sounds like you kick moore tail than the rest of us. i was yeaching to many people the how to do this to fish with the attion a lite bite requires. so the next trip is mine. did have fun watching the kids get there first hard water fish and my freinds that had never done the ice. all in all no injuries and a few fish. end tally me 3 all under slot, ya yahoo... biggest fish was iced by a boy from brazil. 20 or so. he was pissed when i dropped it back in, see this waas the first fish and i haddent explained the laws yet. all together 18 fish iced.
[signature]