Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smells like mack food on ice
Thanks for all of your great posts, there is a wealth of knowledge out there without the fighting that occurs on other forums.

I have a question about Mack scents. I was wondering what you mack fisherman use for scent for ice fishing. I usually use sucker or bullhead, but I am trying a new jig that looks so realistic that I don't want to spoil the profile with a piece of meat hanging off of it. I fish the Gorge both the Wyoming side and the Utah side (when it freezes) and I want to try Bear Lake (if). I have found that I need to wash my jigs with sportsmans scent free soap in order to get the big ones to bite. I was wondering if there is a good scent attractant that helps bring em in. I look forward to your posts and knowledge.

Thanks, Plecopterahopper
[signature]
Now I can't help you with the scent thing as I'm new to using them myself. But the scent remover, Now that's right up mu alley. Save yourself a few dollars and DON'T by the sportsmans scent free soap. It's expensive and works no better than any other scent free soap. For our laundry I use All, Cheer, Store Brand when available, it works as well as the sportsmans brand but cost half as much. P & G makes the scent free soaps for most all the sortsmans brands out there and they make there own. It's kind of like the oil thing for Harley Davidsons. Harley makes no oil they make motorcycles and some else makes their oil. I guess I'm just a cheap old coot after all.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]There are a number of commerical scents available that apparently work great. I use a couple varieties of Smelly Jelly Liquids of different baitfish scents and I use a craw scent as well. How good are they compared to other types? I have no idea but I know at least one thing, the fish are not repelled by them. I hope that they are doing exactly what we want them to do and that is (1) send out a scent slick that attracts fish and (2) mask the scents that are foriegn and unattractive to fish.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I would not only put the scent on your jig but I would also run it up your leader as well. You might as well cover anything that comes close to that jig. It doesn't hurt and I'd rather wipe it on something other than my pants where the smell will work better than on the seat of my truck. Be forewarned, these scents are formulated to stick and stay put and they do it very well to EVERYTHING! Boats, clothes, [size 2]gloves[/size], [size 1]tackle boxes[/size], [size 1]sandwiches[/size]........[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](edit) they also taste like crap! They aren't kidding when it says on the side of the bottle "Not for Human Consumption!"[/size][/font]
[signature]
road,
You are not a cheep old coot by far! What you are is a smart shopper that educates yourself to help reduce costs on the products that you purchase. By doing so it alows more funds to apply to your future and daily happyness. I would call you a smart cookie!
[signature]
I have never used a scent-free-soap, and perhaps I should be. I have always felt that as strong as the Smelly Jelly and similiar smell, that surely that masks any other minor smells (of course if I get gasoline on my hands I wash them). Curious how many out there use scent-free-soap, and if yes how often do you wash your hands?

Kent
[signature]
plecopterahopper,
WOW! for a first post as a new member at BFT you shure are getting the responces. I do most of my angling in the salt water so it wil be up to other trusty members here to help you out on your quest for answers about the Macks and sents to use.
I am truly happy to hear that you like our members community here at BFT. We work hard to keep it a friendly and informative place to be. The main reason I am replying to your post is to give you my personal WELLCOME TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS!
You now have been hit by me the self proclaimed welcomeing commity for the BFT message boards. I will be looking forward to your future posts with antisipation.
Again I wish to tell you WELCOME ABOARD!
[signature]
I know numerous Gorge fisherman that swear by regular Crawfish Oil. They soak the bucktails on their flatfish with it. Several companies sell the stuff. Don't know how it works on other bodies of water.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up road, I have only been using scent free for about a year and I am still on my first bar. I used to get beat pretty bad by the guy who taught me to ice fish, well he used to rub it in pretty bad so I started looking at ways to get better. Before one of our fishing trips to the wyoming side of the Gorge, I washed all of my jigs, boxes, and gloves with scent free soap and proceeded to give him a 23 to 3 spanking on 2-5 lb macks with him only ten feet away. So I am sold on keeping my jigs and anything that comes in contact with them free of human scent.

I waited untill I beat him on two more trips (although not so severely) before I told him what I had done different. He doesn't give me as much guff anymore, but he also keeps his hands and jigs clean.

Dan.
[signature]
I have this picture BLM ...........

Wind blowing at a brisk clip of 15 knots, the chop on the water at Bear Lake has small white caps. There you are in the bow of the boat, Mad Bomber hat pulled down, camo jacket zipped up tight, pole in holder and sandwich in hand. As you bite into that specially made tuna sandwich that the misses got up early and poured her heart into. Your face turns a sickly red then green as the tasste of old rotten crawdad fills your pallet. Your lips pucker, the cheeks sink in and the fuoorws on your forehead become deep enough to plant corn! You start looking for that Thermos you know was right next to you a second ago. A big glup of the scalding coffee expecting the tatse to diminish but it remain lingering for a fortnight. Ahhhh the pleasures of fishing. You return to your rod knowing full good and well that you are never going to do that again ......... well until the next time away!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Or..........[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You come to the startling realization that you've never had it so good but it could taste a lttle better![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Your senario, you got it down pat. So many of us have been there, done that TOO many times! HA! Great story.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 3]As an avid bow hunter I have experimented more than I should with scents with furry walking game and my experience there is no sense is better than any cents, or something like that. The bestest way I have found to do that is with baking soda. Feels real great in your pits in the shower at 0300 but worth it the rest of the day. Try it on your tackle for that “after a spring shower” presentation. A few years ago on the ice at Hyrum we were having a scout dinner and found that scraps of cooked perch skin and meat tipped on the hook brought the perch alive to the tune of probably ten to one than uncooked or other tips. (Is that legal?) Think of how the wife complains when you have the whole crew over and smell up the house for a fish fry! It brought them perch arunnin’ for more on that day. [/size]
[signature]
ssor, Thanks for the welcome. It is nice to be a part of something successful, keep up the good posts all.

Dan.
[signature]
Back in the the good old days when ice was early and thick, me and my buddies would snowmobile back into the narrows at Strawberry and spend the night on the ice. I almost always ended up needing to gas up a snow machine and always got gas on my hands. Not good. I carried a little sandwich bag full of baking soda to wash up with. Cheap and works well. Storing a few jigs in the bag keeps them scent free also. Just remember they are there when you dump some in your hand and start rubbing it in.[:/]

Bob
[signature]
[cool] Welcome aboard hopper. Would like to chat with ya some time on those macs on ice at the Gorge. I went up once last year and they skunked me bad. I'm not after any thing special. 2-5 pound lakers sounds good to me. Everytime I see BLM on here, well, it makes me drool over those fish he's pulling up. Throw me a email about it if you wouldn't mind. Thanks for any help. Fish on gentlemen. My email is [url "http://www.fishman2269@yahoo.com"]www.fishman2269@yahoo.com[/url]

Fishman
[signature]
Fishman, I sent you an e-mail, Let me know if you got it, I didn't include the "www." on the front. It is kind of a long e-mail, but I hope it has information that you find useful. Good luck

Dan.
[signature]
Thanks alot freind. It sounds like you know what you are doing.[Smile] I sent you another email. I will try not to be like a bad rash that won't go away honest! Later.

Fishman
[signature]