Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fisherman on the Ice
As a fly fishing person, I tried this Ice Fishing thing. It was a challenge to hit the hole every time[Wink]
[signature]
I was fishing by a guy with a fly rod over the weekend. Didn't see him catch anything but he was having fun.
[signature]
I have been ice fishing when I didn't catch anymore fish than this guy will! He may even have caught more.
[signature]
Flygoddess,

Take a chainsaw and cut a hole about 6 feet wide and 100 feet long - shove the chunk under one side of the ice and start fly fishing. Be carefull that your guides don't freeze up!!!!

By the way, before you do this check the regs - we do not want to lose someone thru the ice!!!

Smile - its good for the soul.

Bill
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the pic. Do you fish a dropper below the chernobyl ant? A small nymph 18" below a big dry fly would make hitting a 10" hole even more of a challenge. [cool]
[signature]
Been thinking about that[Smile] Not getting much top action[pirate]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looks like you have a lot to learn about ice fishing with a fly rod.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. You really have to stay way back from the hole. Winter fish are spooky about taking a dry when someone is standing too close to the hole. A real challenge to your skills of both distance and accuracy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Small flies are okay for taking small ice cubes, but if you want the big chunks you gotta go bigger...and deeper. (ICE fishing)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. When nothing is happening at an individual hole, jump on the back of a snowmobile and troll for them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]