Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard
Fished willars today no luck. Tried everything from jigs to bottombouncing and pulling cranks deep. The water temp was only 37 when we gave it up. It won't be much longer.
[signature]
Bummer man! Were there many others people fishing? Did you see anyone get anything? I think is just a matter of a few good warm days. The wind today was out of the north and cold so I don't think that helps warm the lake up much either. Better luck next time.
[signature]
I went out today to willard also. We didn't get anything and didn't see anyone get anything.

We also did some scouting to shoot some carp. We saw some fish and what looked to be about a 12"+ Shiner, but it might have been a carp. I swore I saw a large black dot on the side of it. If anyone saw some crazy folks manuvering into the thickets that was us. Well I hope someone had some luck.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]What you saw was a gizzard shad. They get big...well over a foot long. They are protected so you can't catch and keep them. I also thing DWR would frown on you ventilating them with carp arrows.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
They would be a hard target, but I don't think you could really put much of a dent in the population with a bow...of course you would never dream of ventilating an innocent fish now would ya[Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ain't never seed me no innocent fish. They's all evil, conniving, scheming, diabolical critters put upon the earth to test and frustrate fisherpersons. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course, some fish is less innocent than others, and some just plain deserves to be "returned to their maker" for final judgment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I agree on the shad. They are seldom in the "killing zone" for bow fishermen, and even if they were it would be hard to hit the quick little buggers. Like yourself, I doubt that they could be substantially reduced by bowhunting. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course, the same can be said of carpkind. I have often wondered if they are some kind of demon spawn that become like amoebas and split into two live fish everytime you kill one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That is what I meant thanks for correcting me. I am not sure why I had shiner on my brain. Yes they were moving really fast. I am getting a itchy trigger finger so it was nice to see some fish are moving shallow.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]A lot of bow fishermen overlook this time of year. But, as the shallows begin to warm in the spring sunshine, lots of fish move in and bask on the surface to soak up some rays. Wherever you can find shallow water, protected from open lake (cooling) breezes, you can often find a few targets. Since they are cold, they usually don't move as fast, but being on the surface they are wary of potential predators (archers). You sometimes have to be a lot more stealthy than when the carp are lust-crazed during spawning time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You should plan to come join us on our Utah Lake carpathon this year, whenever we decide to schedule it. That is, if you can handle the sight of acres of carp in ankle deep water...begging for perforation.[/#0000ff]
[signature]