Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this???
These are growing in my grandma's grass in her front yard and i am trying to find out what it is and how to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated. I know there are some plant guys here.
[signature]
THATS EASY ITS A WEED. ANY BROAD LEAF KILLER WILL WORK. TODAY WOULD BE GOOD FOR APLYING SOME POWDER FOARM. THE WETNESS WILL ASSIST IT IN STICKING TO THE BROAD LEAVES.
[signature]
Thank you sir. I'll let her know.
[signature]
What Crossineyes said about the granular weed killer is right; However if you use a spray on herbicide you need to wait until after the storm. Apply it to a dry plant, then no water for 24 hours and no mowing for 48. If the grass needs fertilized, use a granular herbicide mixed with a fertilizer. If you have already put down your fertilizer this spring and want to kill the weeds now and not wait for your next fertilization you will need to use a spray. If you are interrested I run a spraying and fertilizing business on the side and would be happy to take care of it. If you want to do it yourself shoot me a PM and I'll give you the down low on the products and any advice you need for free.
[signature]
Thanks man. When i get a minute i will shoot ya a pm.
[signature]
every spring i lay down scotts with weed gaurd 2 granuals. then i follow up with a bottle of the stuff you hook to your hose, make sure you get the one that wont kill the grass...and i spray HEAVY on the weed areas and leave the rest of the lawn alone, i mean i foam it up on the weeds and let it dry, if that doesnt work i pour half water half bleach (clorox is fine) in a squirt bottle and blast the leaves of the weeds then i can watch them turn yellow and wither before my eyes, thats pretty much the maddest i ever got at a weed that would not die but i won.
[signature]
It's Shepherd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris) and it's a mustard (Brassicaceae) so named because the seed pod supposedly looks like a shepherd's purse. It's an annual (lives only one year) so it's not that difficult to control. Winter annuals like Shepherd's Purse germinate in late summer or fall, live over winter as small tufts or rosettes (no flower spike), resume growth in spring (flower spike starts bolting upward) and mature seed (tall flower spike) early in the summer.

They have a tap root so you could just pull up the ones you can get a hold of (the ones with flower spikes) if there aren't too many. It may take a couple years but if you can keep them mowed down so they don't produce more seeds the lawn will get thicker and the shepherd's purse will eventually be eliminated. Treat the lawn several times a year with a pre-emergent product that prevents seeds from germinating and you're covered. If you really want to you can use a broad-leaf weed killer spring and fall while it's actively growing. I think spray is better then granule. If it's a new lawn make sure the product is safe for delicate new lawns. The key for annual weeds is to keep them cut down so they don't produce seeds and use a pre-emergent to prevent what seeds are produced from sprouting.

[url "http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/descriptions/shepherdpurse.htm"]http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/...ns/shepherdpurse.htm[/url]
[signature]
Thanks a ton. I will see what i can find and get it sprayed this week.[cool]
[signature]
It is a harmless mustard that usually invades areas that are disturbed. You can treat them as mentioned. I would do it before they go to seed or next spring the seeds from this year will germinate and they will back in the lawn again. gshorthair
[signature]
to help keep weeds like that away in the future, after you have them under control, keep the lawn fertilized and green. I like to set the mower 1 step higher than a lot of people and use a mulching blade. As long as you keep it fertilized you can use less water this way. A healthy lawn will help keep weeds like that choked out.

Though I'm not one to talk....right now I have a LOT of that nasty whitetop stuff coming up in my lawn.
[signature]