Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp Fishing Help?
So I live near a creek, and with summer fast approaching I'm starting to start fishing there again. I mostly bass fish, but in the back part of the creek where the main river is, there are huge carp. Every time I make the trek back there, the tulles are just swaying back in forth from the fish swimming past them. Problem is I can't, for the life of me, catch one. I have snagged one with a rattletrap before, but that ended in disaster. So, I need ideas. Carp bait recipes, some carp fishing secrets you know, or even lures that catch carp, if there are any. I'm not an experienced carp fisherman so I need all the help I can get. I'm landing one of those bastards this summer. I greatly appreciate any feedback considering all of the failed attempts I've made at fishing for them. I do know a favorite bait is dough balls, corn, and other stuff like that, so recipes for those could work. Thanks Smile
[signature]
I only fly fish so unless you want to take that up, sorry, I have no suggestions.
I can say, Popcorn, bread, and if legal,maybe a corn ball.
[signature]
Hmmm...Yeah forgot you can fly fish for them. I don't have a fly fishing rod, so could you possibly use flies on a regular rod with a spinner reel? Don't know if that's a stupid question or not but hey I'll try any ideas. Thanks for the feedback.
[signature]
I think you need a water bubble to get them out and that can spook the carp.
Maybe try jigs. Mepps maybe.
[signature]
Hey DickJones,

Hope that helped you.
[signature]
And for those Utahans, remember NO CORN. But Idaho, great
[signature]
My favorite way is with an artificail black grub 1 inch long and us 2large weights 1 foot from the grub and it will take time[fishon]
[signature]
what I would do is go there every day or every few days with a small bucket of corn and put in about 1 kg..........do this for several days in the exact same spot...........this will build up feeding confidence as their rewards are now outweighing the risks involved with eating the food items...........then go back the night before you plan to fish and do it one last time. Go there early the next morning with at least a one ounce egg sinker on the mainline tied to a swivel. Then 4 inches above the egg put the smallest split shot you have on the line. This is called a shock rig. What it does is allows the fish to take the bait but when the line slides through the egg sinker and hits the split it shocks the fish into swimming away with the bait, setting the hook on itself. Be sure to loosen the drag and keep an eye on the rod. Or the rod will fly into the creek. As for the hook link, I recommend a 6 inch hooklink with a size 6 or 8 hook with a few kernels of sweet corn right on the hook. If you really want to get advanced go with a hair rig.

Hope this helps - check out [url "http://www.youtube.com/apeioj"]www.youtube.com/apeioj[/url] for alot of useful carp videos!
[signature]
Chumming could work great. As far as Corn, be sure it is legal. It is not in Utah.
[signature]
Worms/nightcrawlers or bowfishing for them!
[signature]
Is it best to fish with the bait on the bottom or suspended under a bobber? I don't know how deep the lake I fish is but I can see carp rolling and bubbles all over the place. So far no bites on corn or worms off the bottom.
[signature]
[quote badger126]Is it best to fish with the bait on the bottom or suspended under a bobber? I don't know how deep the lake I fish is but I can see carp rolling and bubbles all over the place. So far no bites on corn or worms off the bottom.[/quote]

carp and cats are bottom feeders but Ive had luck with them on the very bottom or even suspended on a bobber...sometimes just off the bottom with the weight at the end and line just taught..to get the bait off the bottom...
[signature]
Carp don't always eat off the bottom. I have caught them on an Elk Hair Caddis on the surface. Plus many use bread or bread flies.
I fly fish and have caught hundreds of them. I use a floating line and a fly called a glow bug, which is basically, a yarn egg.
[signature]
Honestly I have been chasing a ton of carp this year. I've only been skunked once or twice. The name of the game has been the "backstabber" fly. You gotta sight fish. When you see them toss it 2 feet behind them and give it 1-2 strips theyll hit it everytime. It's easy to tie, but it imitates a small crayfish so well. That is if you fly fish at all. I LOVE doing it on the 4wt fly rod...adds a good 5-10 minutes to the fight.
[signature]
Hope I'm not too late flygoddess may of already got you hooked on flyfishing[Image: happy.gif]
Quote:so could you possibly use flies on a regular rod with a spinner reel?

She calls it spinning a fly..I do it mostly cause I have little to no success on the fly especially on camera!
You can use those lead worm inserts but this is cheaper..
And use a 1/32ounce bullet weight on light line no more than 10lb I'd say,and using the lead and the bullet weight together cast far!
Also work good for snagging,pinch down the barb so it gets throughs tough scales,this was on 4lb fire line,went through some serious scales on that carp!
[signature]
Not my definition Paulpro. The definition of Fly Fishing is a Fly Rod, Fly Line, Fly Reel, Leader/tippet and a fly. To use a fly on a spinning outfit is not fly fishing, but, fishing a fly. No biggie.

TheWoz, that carp in you picture is a little on the small side and I can see using a four weight.
I fish for Carp that are over 30". That is almost half the length of most four weights.
I did down size from an 8 to a 6 though. But I do value my gear and that would be the lightest I would use on the river I fish as I do know the size in there. 6 has been a bit iffy in a lot of cases.
For the most part, I cannot see the fish at all, but look for bubbles or a tip of a fin. Sadly, a lot of times, the fly lands right on them and spooks them, but as you, I manage at least a couple each trip out.
[signature]
Heres a video I found of a crazy Colombian "fishing a fly" using an ultralight rod [cool]
Also the first video on youtube catching this specie at DAWN...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who fishes a fly[Smile]
anyway, good luck fly fishing for them either or.

P.
[signature]
Yea that was a big surprise on the 4wt. 6 or 8wt would be my typical b/c I'm also picking off some smallies here and there and a ton og long nose gar.

That particular day I just grabbed the 4wt as I was driving along the road and saw a cook creek that I'd never hit before.

Here's one though...last week I took that same 4wwt paired with an Allen reel up against a 17lb king salmon. I thought the rod was going to explode.
[signature]
That was a 17lb Salmon?
[signature]
I have caught alot of carp on bread and corn on spining rods.Carp are a wierd fish they feed bloth on the top and bottem. Fish a few peices of sweet corn on a bigger hook on the bottem.Crumble up a piece of bread and get it on your hook realy tight and then put a split shot thats big enough to way it down. 1 last thing way your rod down I almost lost a rod to a big carp this year.

Hope i could help[fishin]
[signature]