Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craziness at Mantua
So my buddy and I are out fishing at Mantua for our first time out. He has two holes drilled and has a rod set up in a holder next to one hole and he was at the other. He was catching so I would hear the occasional sounds from reeling and splashing. I had my hood up so my peripheral vision was blocked. But suddenly I heard this commotion so I turn to see whats going on when, bloop, as he jumps toward his rod it gets pulled into the lake. He's of course bummed out about it but we keep fishing. He ties on that same lure to a different rod and we continue fishing. That lure seems to be the hot thing so I finally decide to tie one on. It's been about 45 mins since he lost his lure.
He then says, "Hey man I think I have your line or something." I am just tying on my spoon so I have the lure in my left hand. I look at my hand and then look over to him as I am saying " Nope not my line." He pulls this trout out of the water with the same lure hooked in his lip and another identical lure dangling from some tangled line. It clicked at the same time I yell, "NO WAY" and he starts to quickly pull on the line thats still in the water. He's pulling the line out and then BAM his rod and reel come out of the water.

Un freaking believeable

That was something I will never forget. I can't believe he got it back.
[signature]
You've got a great story there! Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
Happened to me when I was younger at Strawberry, bunch of scouts on a boat one kid steps away for a second and rod goes overboard from a fish tug, one of the kids on the back of boat reels in a fish and it has a line wrapped around it, pulls on the line and in comes a fish on the lure the other kid was using, pulls on the other end of the line and up came the rod and reel.
[signature]
Everyone has all these cool stories like that. But every time I lose a pole or a buddy does, we never get them back... haha just our luck
[signature]
Pretty crazy when that sort of thing happens, but I have seen it as well. That is one of the reasons I always hold my pole as well as you miss a lot of fish if you are not holding your rod.
[signature]
Two words: rod leash.
[signature]
Man what a lucky day, isn't often you have a chance of getting a pole back through an ice hole... On soft water when you can cast and snag the line you have a chance, but this was incredibly lucky for you guys to get that one back... Hungry fish I guess... Later J
[signature]
Good idea
[signature]
He definitely knew what he wanted. He stayed in the same spot and hit the same lure twice. The second time while dragging a pole through the water.
[signature]
Must be a slow learner fish. Usually they feel a tick of a hook and they're long gone. Makes a cool story though. Later J
[signature]
Sweet story!!
[signature]
Glad you got your rod back happen to us on the P.V. one guy was fighting a muskie through a hole and 15 ft away another rod went down through his ice hole a few minutes later we started pulling line through the hole the muskie was in,and pulled out the other pole.Fun stories to experience.
[signature]
Wow I couldn't imagine pulling a muskie through the ice.
[signature]
That is extremely lucky too. Glad you got your favorite setup back.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Two words: rod leash.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Or: Jaw Jacker [Wink][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
One of our members on this forum is making rod leashes, if anyone is interested contact K2. I'm using one to keep my flasher from being kicked down the hole.
[signature]
Here's pictures of rod leashes I'm making up If anyone is interested. Glad you got your stuff back. I've also posted in the for sale section.
[signature]
I would have to second the jaw jacker option. I lost two poles at Strawberry and one at Scofield. I was able to retrieve the pole at Scofield about an hour later in a nearby hole by snagging into the line. A nice sized tiger trout had been the culprit. After trying all kinds of different rod holders, nothing works better than a jaw jacker. If you need to leave your rod unattended for a few minutes, you can simply set it. I have never lost a rod when a fish is on the line while it is in a jaw-jacker.
[signature]
My dad lost a rod holder down the hole in 40 ft of water trying to set the first fish. About an hour later he snags on to something with his perch jig and up comes the rod holder.[Tongue]
[signature]
Great story. I have a similar experience, but on open water from my canoe at Lost Creek years ago. Doing it through the ice is quite an amazing feat. Good for your buddy.
[signature]