Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Narrows?
Does the Pineview Narrows have safe ice yet?
[signature]
Kent, it was open water on thursday night but cemetery point was safe as well as the port ramp area.
[signature]
Thanks, I am looking forward to being able to access The Narrows. I can find the crappie there, but have struggled finding them elsewhere.
[signature]
I was planning on trying to fish Friday (January 6th) evening at pineview. Never fished there before, but was going to try for crappie. Any suggestions on locations that have safe ice and are good for crappie in the evening? 😀. [fishon]
[signature]
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC...097913.jpg

Since I don't know the lake that well, where are the narrows on this map. Also if anyone else has a location suggestion, it would be helpful referencing where on the map. I really appreciate it!
[signature]
The spot on the map where it reads "NARROWS FISHING" is good bet. Be advised, it is work getting down the steep banks to fish in that area. Until the whole Reservoir caps over safely and you can walk in from the north, the narrows isn't the best area to take kids.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Here is a generalized map, with Xs in the areas where ice fishing has been best in past years. Of course each year can be different...with water level fluctuations, bait movements, fish population changes, etc.

When water levels are up and the fish are in there can be decent fishing right off the end of the docks at the port ramp and up toward the yacht club. At other times you will find anglers congregating out from Browning Point, on either side and in front of Cemetery Point or in the depths between Cemetery Point and Browning Point.

Early in the ice season everybody is prospecting. But after some initial reports start coming in it is easier to target the better spots.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I just drove by. Most of the narrows is still open but there is ice around the edges. We saw a guy walking on it but it looked a little spooky from the road.
[signature]
Sorry, I was looking at the map when I had my 6 year old son by me. I just overlooked it. I really appreciate all the advice on locations! [fishin]
[signature]
I watched the Hooked on Utah episode from last year and noticed that crappie fishing was at night. Do you fish for perch at night and do you target them at the same locations as crappie?
[signature]
Perch sleep at night, pretty much. Not possessing eyes that allow them to function in full dark conditions, they go to a deep bowl or pocket and sit dormant until daylight.
[signature]
Bump, were they fishing The Narrows today?

Thanks,
[signature]
You could have fished the narrows if you wanted to today but it would have been a pain in the butt hauling your kayak of float tube down that snowy hill. The wind wasn't bad so waves were pretty small.
I'll try to answer my own question. My wife and I took a scouting trip today and drove all the way around Pineview Reservoir. There is open water between the buoys and the dam. North of the buoys is frozen and may or may not have safe ice. The answer really doesn't matter because they have not plowed any parking areas (including down to the marina) and the snow is so deep that one would become stuck if one ventures off of the main road in a wheel-driven vehicle. I saw people fishing north and south of Cemetery Point and also one group was fishing the west side, just a little ways south of the boat ramp. They parked along the side of the highway and I would think that one could be ticketed for not getting further off of the highway.
[signature]
Thanks again!!! We went Friday night. A group of four caught 56 crappie. I limited out. 😀 That map helped a bunch! I posted my results on a later post. Passing on the knowledge...[fishon]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I saw your post. Nice work.

Glad the map helped. But a map is only the beginning. You can lead an angler to ice but you can't make them catch fish. You still gotta put it all together.

The biggest challenge with most fishing is first finding the fish. After that you have to figure out what they want and how they want it. That takes more than a map.

Thanks for sharing what you can.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]