Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR Closing the Loophole
Folks it isn't that hard. Get a proclamation and read it. All the rules are in black and white print. There are division offices throughout the state and biologists and CO's in many towns.

The "loophole" is the same for all of us. This rules change affects us all exactly the same way. On a general deer tag, you will now lose all your preference points if you draw any of your choices 1-5. Before, you only lost your preference points if you drew your 1st choice.

Preference points and bonus points are 2 completely different things by the way. Preference points are only for a general season deer tag. Bonus points are for all limited entry species tags and are only valid for each species. For instance, I have 13 bear points which are not valid for elk or moose. The confusion comes because for years a general season buck deer tag was bought over the counter. The limited entry buck deer units were done with the draw process. Then our population grew to the point that a draw was needed to make it a little fairer to get a general deer tag. I wish they would of just made the entire state into separate units from the beginning and everything was a limited entry tag. If you wanted to hunt almost every year you would apply for an easier to draw area. If you wanted a trophy buck you could apply for the prime units. But now you can apply for a general buck deer tag on the majority of the state units and also apply for a limited entry tag for elk deer or antelope, as well as choose 1 once in a lifetime animal like sheep or buffalo. The points stay with the type of tag you apply for until you draw and then they reset at zero. But preference and bonus points are different and do not overlap. Feel free to PM me if you'd like and we can chat that way. I am not a CO or biologist but almost 5 decades of guiding and hunting has its benefits. Have a fine evening.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
DWR Closing the Loophole - by buckhunterhart - 01-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Re: [Brighamfish] DWR Closing the Loophole - by Bovineowner - 01-22-2017, 02:39 AM