Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls
Has anyone been getting into some perch at American Falls? Was thinking of trying Sportsman's this weekend, or even the dam, not sure where to try.
[signature]
I haven't tried this year, but last year all I caught were tiny ones just off the point at the south side of sportsman's park boat launch. Also there are tiny ones in Roberts gravel pond and the Shelley park pond. Someday I will find some worth fileting but for now I'll be happy to have some cut bait.
[signature]
Can you use Perch for cut bait? I just don't know the rule because they are a game fish..
[signature]
Yes you can . People even use trout for bait for Sturgeon.
[signature]
Yes, game fish can be used as bait, but according to Fish and Game, if you use a game fish, it must be a legal fish to keep (proper size, etc...), and that fish will be counted in possession. So if you use trout for sturgeon, it has to meet the requirements for keeping trout on the snake, and it counted in your daily limit. There are no limits on perch, so they are good to use for cut bait.
[signature]
Must one remove the edible portion of the game fish in order to avoid "wasting game fish", which is prohibited?
[signature]
You don't have to remove anything . You can use any and all parts . If the fish you use for bait has a limit . You can't catch and use more than the limit in any day as bait . There is no limit on perch so you can use as many as you want for bait .
[signature]
This is all good to know and very helpful. Maybe I shouldn't let all those perfect bait sized perch go when I take the kiddos to Roberts..
[signature]
Also any way to thin out the perch in Roberts is good. Maybe I need to start a perch bait business for sturgeon fishermen....😎
[signature]
Went to Sportsman's and surrounding areas Tuesday. Ice was only 2" in some spots. Open water where we fished last Sunday. With the warm coming this weekend, will have to find a new place for this weekend. Only landed one trout about 3.5 lbs and missed 3 other bites. We were fishing on some ice that was 6" thick but not deep enough for perch.
[signature]