Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowman to Stanley stretch.
I'm looking for some information on the stretch of Highway 21(?) from Lowman to Stanley. Any of you steelhead freaks been over that road in the last few days?

PM me if you have driven that stretch are are willing to talk.

Thanks.
[signature]
Are you looking to steelhead that way already? All I know is that the Salmon River is about as iced up as it has ever been. Even the stretches in/near Stanley are completely frozen over. Hopefully we get some warm water to start ungumming everything. But not too warm that it blows it up before it even begins=) As far as the highway goes...? I'm not sure about those conditions.
[signature]
I'm not looking for river info. I'm looking for road info. I thought winter was prime steelhead time, so I assumed people were fishing and in so doing, they'd be driving that road. I guess not......?
[signature]
For the first time in 30 years the upper Salmon from Stanley to Challis is 100% frozen from what I heard a week ago. Winter is seldom Steelhead time above the Pahsimerio where spring water enters the river. A very unusual winter for sure. The Idaho Transportation site is showing the road open but difficult driving conditions from just above Lowman to Stanley. I imagine totally snow covered. Blue for fair conditions from Stanley down most of the way to Challis with mostly good to Salmon. This upper section has been closed numerous times this winter and they do a great job updating the conditions every few hours.
[signature]
You are correct.

But I need very specific conditions on a very specific stretch. The kind of information I need is only attainable by being there. Even then only the most observant people would notice.
[signature]
I understand it won't come from Steelhead fisherman as they very rarely fish this stretch in Janurary and those that do 99% come from Galena or up the river from eastern or Southern Idaho. Outside of avalanches and no storms the road is likely ok.
[signature]
[url "http://www.sourdoughlodge.com/"]http://www.sourdoughlodge.com/[/url] call the sourdough, they are right there
[signature]