Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Ice
So Saturday morning we are taking our Boy scouts ice fishing. How is the ice? Edges? Slush? Just want to be prepared. Thanks!
[signature]
Hey welcome to BFT, glad to have you as part of us.... I'm sure some of the frequent fishers will give you better details, but here's a little second hand info... Been hearing stories of 3-5" of slush and deep snow, so make sure the boys have good boots to keep their feet dry, if not then the bread sacks in the boots may help... With the warming and storming I don't see this condition improving in the short run...also as run off comes in the edges will deteriorate so a plank may be good prep to have... Good luck... J
[signature]
Hi I was there on Monday I was at Browning point or browns ? Turned by a school to go to the parking lot.
The shore ice was good, and the slush had frozen down about 1 foot making good walking as long as you stayed on the established trails. Be prepared to drill through a layer of froze slush then a layer of water, then 12 to 15 inches of ice.
I had a friend go tonight and had the same conditions for drilling . he did not catch any crappy . If you go to PV be ready for the lightest bites possible from a fish. any time your line even moves it probably is a bite. use inch long (gulp minnows) tipped with a wax worm. The fish do not start biting until just before sundown and usually gets better the longer you stay after dark . Find 50 feet of water before you start fishing. And after it does get dark it can get bitterly cold have the scouts dress in lots of layers and in good cold weather clothes And remember THEY BITE LIGHT.
Good fishing to you and your scouts. I am taking my scouts ice fishing in 2 weeks.
[signature]
Thanks for the report WBestF. That report makes me feel alot better about the ice. We won't be there at night only Saturday morning. But I have gotten into the perch at PV before we went north of the parking lot by cemetery point. Im hoping to do the same.
[signature]
Has anyone heard if people are fishing the narrows for crappie at night?[fishon]
[signature]
From what I've been hearing parking access to fish the narrows is the big problem. Last I heard the ice is plenty thick and there were fish present but there wasn't any parking close by. I haven't heard if snowmobiles were being used to park elsewhere and ride to the narrows to fish. That may be the best option now? Sorry I'm not very much help. Later J
[signature]
I was off Browning Point, just last night. (Wednesday) Edges are good, and the ice is almost too thick. Surface is okay if you keep on the pre-used trails. I just use a 6 inch hand auger, so I look for old holes to drill back out. Otherwise, power augers are almost a must. I fished from about 3pm to around 7:30pm. I know I left too early but only caught 1 small perch and had a couple other hits. No fish on the flasher after about 6:15. Talked to 2 guys that spent most the day and had only caught 5 perch. Should have/could have waited for fish to show up, and should have moved around, but I didn't. Maybe next time.
[signature]
How deep were you fishing?
[signature]
I was fishing right at the 40 ft mark. Fish were hanging at that depth on Monday, and I figured it would work. I should have moved out to 50, but by that time it was dark, and I didn't want to look for an old hole and move all my gear.
[signature]
My buddies and I found the perch last Saturday in about 30 feet of water off Browning Point. From about 3 hours of fishing we took 10 or so home that were in the 9 inch range. Sent several back to grow more. Finder would show many more fish than we had bites but still had a good time. Bite for the perch was also lite. Good luck.
[signature]
I was there two weeks ago on Saturday and I was able to drive down to the ramp, but last Saturday there was a big pile of snow from the snowplows blocking the entrance. As such, we drove over to Cemetery Point and went to the Narrows from there.

We fished at night the first outing and iced 30 Crappie in 2 1/2 hours. Last Saturday we fished in the morning and only ended up with 7. We got a later start, so we weren't able to fish the pre-dawn hours.

Ice is plenty thick.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!