Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay - Light Pole
Finally, made it out to the light pole. Hiked from the SW corner to the light pole. Based on the number of steps recorded by my watch, it was about 3 miles each way. Got out there about noon and drilled a hole 50 yards off the dike in 14.5 FOW, another 75 yards from the dike in 17 FOW and a third 100 yards out in 20 FOW. About the time I started fishing the first hole, my wife called and asked if I could be home by 2:30. With only an hour to fish, I split the time between the three holes. No fish caught, but I did see fish on the flasher in all three locations. Had a very active fish in the middle hole. Several times it appeared to approach the lure only to stop. Looked like I was lifting perch off the bottom at the 20 FOW location. Again, no takers. Made it home by the promised 2:30.

Seems kinda of silly to pull a sled six miles only to fish for an hour, but it was a very enjoyable day. One day next week, I'll do it again, but spend the day fishing. While not catching anything today, it was very encouraging to see fish on the flasher. With a little more time, I think I could have caught something. Shucks, all I've got to do is leave my phone home.

Larry
[signature]
Thanks for the report, glad you were able to get out there and enjoy the day - how thick was the ice there?
Eight or niches with an inch or two of snow on top.

Larrt
[signature]
How much snow was on the road headed north from the sw corner? Just wondering if it was wheeler able? Would really like to hit some of the deeper holes along that side. With all the work they did on that road the last few years it should be a better trail now, if it's not buried under the white menace. [Smile]
[signature]
When you turn north it gets pretty bad, pretty fast. I was hoping to drive out to the light pole, but a hundred yards past the corner, I gave up and went back to the corner and over the dike. A Wheeler might be able to make it.

Larry
[signature]
Have you looked at access to the new rocks just out from the south marina, and campground? The rocks on the bank are what I'm think might be hard to get down. I'm not walking very well now.
Has anyone been there to check it out?
Thanks Larry for the information on the light pole. That really sounds like good ice.
Was it you I spoke to on Bear Lake Wednesday, Just of the road on the south west walk in area?
doitall
[signature]
Probably was. Thought you looked familiar. Heard a report of much better fishing yesterday in the same spot but 70 FOW. Might be going back next Tuesday or Wednesday. Interested in riding along?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Bummer to trudge all that distance for a short amount of fishing. That'll teach you to not "stay connected".

Good to hear there are fish in the area. I suspect that you missed the bite...early or late. It can vary from day to day. But my experience on Willard ice fishing is that it is best early and late...with midday being less productive.

Those fish rising off the bottom to look and laugh could have been either perch or walleyes. Both will act like that under the ice. if they are well fed or just finicky they will look out of curiosity but it takes some finesse to elicit a reaction bite.

Did you see anything cruising by between 5-8 feet under the ice? That is where I have had the best results with crappies. In fact, when there is a lot of snow on the ice I have watched them come through just under the ice...without sonar. And white is the best color for them...in small sizes. They just don't whack bigger stuff when they slow down under the ice. About the only natural food they eat is small zooplankton and other bitty bites.

A couple of years ago that area kicked out quite a few porky perch for guys that made the trip. And there have been more wipers hooked over there than most other spots around the lake. The main problem is that if you are fishing near someone else you will usually get tangled with them when the wipers make their big wide circles under the ice. A good reason for fishing solo.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat, didn't see anything that high. In 17 FOW a couple came through at 14. Moved on before I could rise up to them. Sounds like I need to be hiking at 6 AM next week. Sure would like to mark a winter wiper off my list.

Larry
[signature]
[#0000FF]About 4-5 years ago there were a couple of guys who fished the trenches under the ice...specifically targeting wipers. They would set up a fair distance apart (to prevent tangles) Then they would set up one rod with a dead minnow hanging just off the bottom and jig spoons on the other. They caught walleyes, catfish, perch and YES wipers on both rods.

You like Gulp Minnows. They have accounted for a few ice wipers too. Not for me. But I have caught a few on Gulp during open water.

In that deeper water it is possible that the middepth sonar marks could have been crappies. The main idea is that crappies tend to suspend...somewhere betwixt top and bottom. But there is also a strong possibility they might be larger shad. You can say they were anything you want until you catch one and prove it right or wrong.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Not silly. I am very envious of your day.
Good luck next time.
[signature]
Keep trekking 6 miles a trip and you'll have to change your user name [sly]
[signature]
wow good job larry.....I would like to ice a few of the wipers and walleye in willard but just have not been able to get on them in the winter. I think I have a scoop handle of yours from newton are you missing one?
[signature]
Yes, but toss it. Connector between the two parts broke.

Laery
[signature]