Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Catfish Contest Call for Suggestions
Back by popular demand, or maybe by hate and disdain, the annual Catfish contest is starting to stir in the minds or catfishers statewide... BLK and TD broke the ice so to speak today by landing a few whiskered fellows or maybe it was shela's.. Anyway the plan was to kick off on March 15th, but seeing fish are being caught already we may try pushing it up to the first of March... Enough BS... I have attached last year's rules to the contest for your review, if you have some suggestions please respond on this post and let us know... We may or may not choose to change the rules, but we are always open to new good ideas... Please run those past us.... Thanks

Also I would like to get a helper or two this year to help me with the prizes and running the contest, if you would be interested in helping please PM me and let me know, I'd love a little help to cover some of the things I fall short in getting covered as well as I should... Thanks all... Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good on ya. Most years the ice is not off Utah Lake until after the first week of March. Not this year. The first of March is a more realistic kickoff time. I assure you there will be some worthy entries during March.

Will you be posting the official decal/emblem needed to show in the pictures of our entries?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes I'll get the placard and a call to sign up by Monday or so. We will have open sign ups till May sometime. Help get the word out we're pretty early this year so most may not be watching for it this early. Thanks for the interest again. J
[signature]
Sounds great I think I might have to give this a go again this year. I have had a blast in the past but was to busy this last year.

Thanks Skunked Again!
[signature]
its not that its early, everyone is just late[Wink]
time to get the party started.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Bring it on!
[signature]
Hey I hope your schedule will be better this year so you can join in the fun. I know I'm addicted to it. Glad you're looking forward to it. Hope the water levels and fish all cooperate so it's a good year. Thanks J
[signature]
Man we still have feet of ice up north so we may need a few days before we can get started. You guys are making us jealous being able to catch cats already. But will get it going as soon as we can. Later J
[signature]
You got it. Later J
[signature]
Its looking good that for getting a full year of launching out there, I would be ok with it running until the end of November, I didn't get to go to my "hole" after July last year.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
We tried the end of October one year and no one entered anything after early October and in order to have time to put together the banquet and prizes before the holidays get going it works best at mid October. So if that's not too big of inconvenience it would sure help me to end mid October. I'm fine to go through the nearest weekend, just need some time for the paper work. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
The south team may need a few extra days to condition ourselves after Mother Nature put us in the penalty box so early in the game last year. I am really excited to have another go at this with some water heading our way.
[signature]
sorry I meant end of October ,I understand , you do a great job running the contest,

thank you for letting us have fun with it.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Yup I think you might get a few extra days for conditioning down south.... I think we'll try first of March as a start and I know we still have 8" of unsafe ice on our ponds up north so depending on how long the ice takes to melt, you guys are getting your leading advantage.... My fellow team north members might not be real happy with that call, but hey it's only fair since you guys were shutout for the end of last season... Has anyone on team north even realized we're talking about the catfish contest yet? Everyone I've seen and heard from is team south... Anyway looking forward to another fun season and I hope I can get away from the farm long enough to catch some decent fish this year... Last year about killed me when the fish started biting good and it ended up time to cut hay which turned into work for the rest of the summer and I never really got back into the fish again after that... But always hopeful this year will be better... Thanks for your excitement and support, it really makes this a fun contest... Later Jeff
[signature]
You are most welcome and hope it will be a great season for all... Isn't it great to get one of those 24"+ fish tugging on the other end of your line... Man they are a fun fish to catch... I've been lucky and caught some nice trout this winter through the ice and they fight really well, but I think the cats still have more power and fight harder... Once in a while I get a cat that thinks it's a rainbow and they leap and dance on the surface... That surprised the heck out of me the first time I seen it... Fun times to see that big of fish in the air... Anyway I love the anticipation that comes with a new season, let's make it the best yet... Later Jeff
[signature]
Hey Jeff, I may be able to help with some prizes. I have some sources that would donate to the cause. I can't help with any computer issues but could help in other areas if needed.
[signature]
How about a rule change to help us poor southerners? How 'bout 6 inches being subtracted from the length of all fish caught north of Bountiful?[Wink]
[signature]
Your help will be much appreciated, I have a tough time getting out and lining up prizes, it's not that it's hard to do or companies don't want to provide them it's just I get busy and don't get it done soon enough so help in this area is so appreciated. Thank you Jeff
[signature]
Oh Kent no handicap's will be given to team south, just ask BLK the fish are bigger in Utah Lake so I'm sure it should be team north that gets the handicap... It's actually pretty cool that we have such evenly matched areas so this contest can swing either direction, that's part of what makes it so fun... Thanks for the suggestion... Jeff
[signature]
I may attempt a try at it this year again. Last year I just didn't have the time. This year is looking better however probably not be able to get out until April though.
[signature]