Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice on strike?
Can I get the boat up to cottonwood or is it still froze?
[signature]
I fished the Snake Arm by Cove and Crane Falls today and on my way out on Crane Falls Road it appeared that there was some water in the Bruneau arm. It was hard to tell if it really was open water or just water on top of the ice from my vantage point. Crane Falls is totally ice capped and 95% of Cove Arm is capped. I even chucked some big rocks onto the ice where I thought it was thinner and it didn't even crack. The rocks just skipped. Time for some global warming so I can fish! Oh wait, it's climate change now. Today was my first trip there ever that I got 100% skunked. The snake arm was turbid and had lots of debris. Nothing wanted to play but it was nice to be out hitting the soft water again. Had some good hunting talk with a guy in a bass boat at least!
[signature]
I forgot to mention the guy in the bass boat said the entire main pool is all open water also. Not sure on the narrows. Good luck and happy trails.
[signature]
[quote Fish-Offender] I even chucked some big rocks onto the ice [/quote]

Thanks for doing that. I really enjoy hitting rocks with my auger blade.
[signature]
My bad. Any suggestions for testing the ice short of walking out on it and jumping up and down? I think that if one tried to ice fish Cove, a banged up auger blade would be the least of your problems. That ice didn't look good, but then again I'm no expert on ice. It was thicker than I thought, my bad again. Happy trails.
[signature]
Test it with a spud bar. If you are too scared to walk it then just leave it be. A busted auger blade can ruin a fisherman's day[bobmad]
[signature]

[signature]
[quote Squarehog]Test it with a spud bar. If you are too scared to walk it then just leave it be. A busted auger blade can ruin a fisherman's day[bobmad][/quote]

Amen.
[signature]
I'll leave it be for sure, not a fan of ice but my fear of ice(almost drowned in an ice laden river saving another friend that fell in) has lately been over ridden by my desire to catch fish. My ice fishing experience is limited to the last few years so I'm a novice even though I've been fishing soft water for most of my 36 years, so my bad. Thanks for the correction. I'm pretty sure though that all augers are safe from my rocks as they are probably at the bottom of cove. The ice was fading fast the 5 hours I was there. I'll keep all rocks on the bank from now on gentleman. Good luck and happy trails. [fishon]
[signature]
I'd be happy to show you the ropes if you ever get the itch to walk on water.
[signature]
Fish offender . If you ever get a chance to fish with hooknhunter take it . He is an awesome person and full of knowledge. Probably the best ice fisherman I know . Early ice is the worst for rocks on the ice . Because they are there all season and almost always under the snow . Good luck fishing this year .
[signature]
[quote hooknhunter]I'd be happy to show you the ropes if you ever get the itch to walk on water.[/quote]

I'm much obliged by your offer and will take you up this next hard water season. Ice fishing is a different beast and it'd be nice to know how to read the ice better, let alone fish behavior. I've lurked here for a long time and like the knowledge and help shared here. Thanks for curing some of my ignorance. I always look forward to your posts hooknhunter. Thanks again. Thanks also to Curt, I always enjoy your Island Park posts. It's a favorite place of mine since my teen years and now I live four hours away your posts keep the dreams alive there. Some day I hope to retire there, until then it's just two trips a year. 23 more years to go...
[signature]
I am Retired and live in Island Park most of the year . If you get a chance to come over during the ice fishing season at Henry's. Let me know if would love to fish with you . Here is a picture of a fish my brother caught 1 week before season closed
[signature]
That's a huge fish Curt.

I thank you for your compliments, but I fear you greatly exaggerate, just like you do with the size of your fishes....... [Wink]
[signature]
[quote Fish-Offender]My bad. Any suggestions for testing the ice short of walking out on it and jumping up and down? I think that if one tried to ice fish Cove, a banged up auger blade would be the least of your problems. That ice didn't look good, but then again I'm no expert on ice. It was thicker than I thought, my bad again. Happy trails.[/quote]

F-O,

Sorry if my original comment came across as harsh. It was intended as a sarcastic joke. Those who know me, know that if I'm talking, you can tell when I'm joking because my lips are moving......... That doesn't exactly apply to typed comments, but it does describe who I am. I joke pretty much ALL the time. No offense was intended. Those who are not joking (Curt, SH, etc) have given good feedback.......

Keep fishing.......

And don't forget my number 1 rule. If in doubt about whether to go fishing or stay home, ALWAYS GO. If you are still in doubt, check rule number 2 which is to read rule number 1 again.[fishon]
[signature]
the best ice fisherman I know.... and like Curt said always take HnH up on going fishing if he asks..... I do!
Matt
[signature]
No need to apologize, stupid actions deserve harsh responses![Smile]No offense taken, lesson learned. I'm a fairly unserious individual myself with fairly thick skin, it's too bad a keyboard doesn't relay the emotion of the voice. I'll gladly heed your advice on your rule #1. I appreciate the offer on Henry's Curt, that's an experience I've always wanted but have been too chicken because of the ice part. I'm slowly overcoming my ptsd with ice! Your brother's fish is about the best therapy to overcoming my fear of ice! What a brute! Congrats! Thanks also Matt for the tip. Will be heeded! I'm probably done with ice fishing for the year, I've got a busy spring going with bear, turkey, and a hunter Ed class to teach along with working on getting my 5 and 3 year old out fishing more. Thanks to all and happy trails on the soft water till it freezes again.
[signature]