Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 DWR Willard Bay Report
[#0000FF]I got an email from Chris Penne (DWR) along with a copy of the recently completed annual report on Willard Bay. I am attaching the report. Here is the rest of the email. Some interested stuff.

His comments on the walleye are in response to a couple of pics I sent of skinny and/or deformed fish I had caught later last year.
[/#0000FF]

Just finished the Willard Bay report a few weeks ago. See attached. As always, we're managing fisheries in Utah for the anglers, so this is public information that you can feel free to distribute. You'll note in the report, that we are reducing stocking again this year in order to bring down the number of predators. We've had three great years in a row now with fishing at Willard, and while I think fishing should be pretty good next year, I'm thinking of 2017 may not be able to match what we've seen in 2013-2016. Kind of like in sports where teams often have to rebuild there roster after creating a championship team, Willard is going to need to rebuild a few new year classes of wipers, crappie and shad this year. We've had a particularly dominant year class of wipers born in 2014 that has been suppressing recruitment of new year classes of wipers for a couple years now. I'm thinking the 2014 year class of wipers may now be in low enough numbers now that we can get good recruitment of a new year class of wipers this year. In addition, I'm thinking our dominant year class of black crappie should have the habitat now to pull off a good spawn and produce another good year class of crappie that will successfully recruit. Finally, we need to put a little more fat back on our predators this year, as last year the young shad got thin in numbers come August due to all competition for food among the wipers, walleye, crappie, and even catfish. So in summary, I would say expect fewer but bigger fish when it comes to the wipers. Walleye fishing should be about the same as last year. The black crappie spawn may be down in terms of number of fish caught, but should produce result in a good new year class of fish that will show up in a couple years . Channel catfish are looking great and are getting bigger. With the higher water levels and ample habitat, we're hoping this is a good season to get new year classes of wipers, crappie, and maybe walleye that will keep Willard going strong into the future.

Regarding the skinny walleye, that definitely has to do with the lower densities of young shad we saw by late summer last year. This left less food for the young walleye, wiper, etc. and also meant the remaining young shad grew pretty fast and quickly got too big for the young walleye and wipers to eat. Not quite sure what's going on with walleye with the spinal deformity. We see those from time to time in our fish populations and simply lump them into a category of fish we call D.E.L.T.s which refers to fish which have Deformities Lesions and Tumors, which are seen in a small portion of the population.

Also, we'll be collecting eggs during the walleye spawn again this year at Willard Bay. If mother nature cooperates, we're scheduled to collect eggs from March 12 - April 7. If you or anyone you know want to help, the signup sheet can be found at [url "http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4fabac23a7f58-walleye1"]this link[/url].

Chris
[signature]
Some very interesting reading. I wish they would give the Shad a little boost .. hehe It looks like the cats are coming back nicely.
[signature]
Last year I had my best day ever fishing for channel cats in Willard and it looks like this year will be even better.[Smile]
[signature]
Interesting read Pat, hey I'm not sure I'm buying their line on the walleye being under reported and that anglers were still catching lots.... From what I remember everyone was down on eyes last year... It was sort of rare to see a limit of eyes last year, where the prior years there were lots of good days... In fact I don't remember many eyes in the reports last year... There were always a few scattered, but it seemed like the eyes were way down to me last year... Other than that blip I think the report sounds fairly accurate to what I'd suspect, cats are coming back and wiper are fading... I fear the crappie need a good year really bad, and I'm hoping there is still enough to save the population for another come back... Hope the shad do well this year as well... need lots of food to keep things going... Thanks for posting that, appreciate Chris and the work he does... even if I like to do my part of armchair analysis... I still know he has better data than I... He didn't mention it, but did you notice the perch bump.... hope they spawn well too... Thanks J
[signature]
[#0000FF]We have to accept that much of what the final reports say is based upon limited regular surveys. DWR biologists do conduct periodic "creel reports", in which they gather info from "assorted" anglers. Some of those anglers are shore fishermen. Some are just coming back in boats or "other floatation craft". And timing is everything. Willard can be good one day and bad the next...on any and all species. In the absence of a full time staff monitoring the lake every day of the year there is a great potential for "skewed" observations. But I think they do a great job with the personnel shortage and the widely varying conditions.

The parts of the report that are most accurate are the results from the nettings. To keep the stats as true as possible they try to net the same areas at the same time of year. The variables are mostly due to water levels and weird weather factors. Willard is a fickle lady and has mood swings.

I agree that last year SEEMED to be less productive on walleyes...not only for me but for most of the other Willardites as well. Sure, there were fairly regular catches off walleyes interspersed with wipers during the June peak. But there was a light showing at spawn time and for most of us there never was much of a fall fling.

Yes, I am sure that a big part of the seeming decline in the fall fishing was at least partially due to the rapid peak and decline in the shad population. The heavy abundance of midsize wipers slurped up the mini shad quickly and left little for a fall feedup. It also accounts for the lack of boils. They were few and far between simply because there was not a lot of schools of edible sized shad for the predators to round up and slaughter. By late fall we were seeing both wipers and shad with empty bellies and thinner fillets.

It was good to see larger cats this past year. And the fish being caught early seem to be bigger than the "cookie cutters" of recent years. I suspect a big part of that is having water up into the rocks again. That allows for crawdad reproduction and survival. And to get big cats in Willard you gotta have some crustaceans. The wet rocks also improve spawning success for the kitties. So we should soon be seeing their numbers increase as well.

My personal prediction on crappies is that there will not be as good a harvest as there has been the past two years. The current largest year class is not nearly as abundant as last year's. I know I was not releasing nearly as many smaller fish last year and that does not bode favorably for a robust run this year. I hope I am wrong. I know that the improvement in water depth will flood some more brush and help this year's spawn. I only hope enough adults escape the happy harvesters to lay some eggs.

With the warmer early months and the greater inflow of fertile water it is likely the shad will be able to bring off a good spawn. They usually spawn over several weeks, beginning in April when conditions are right. And with all the new nutrients in the water the zooplankton should bloom enough to feed the new hungry masses of shadlets.

There were a lot of 18 to 20 inch wipers last year. As soon as they start chowing down on baby shad they should put on another 2 to 4 inches...or more. We should be seeing some two footers in the 5 to 6 pound class by fall. Maybe not as many as last year but some with shoulders.

Not sure about the perch "bump". There were a few more caught this last year than the year before. But there were far fewer than two years ago. Like crappies, perch need flooded vegetation or other underwater structure upon which to spawn. The extreme low water levels for the past few years have not allowed much spawning and recruitment for either. And baby perch are a top menu item for all the predators in the lake. The cycles of good fishing are usually several years apart.

Willard is about the only lake in Utah that ever paints me with skunk smell. But it has been three years since that happened last. I plan to give it another shot at me in a week or two...as soon as Mama Nature gets through with her current hissy fit. I always like to catch fish but if I gotta sacrifice my first trip on Willard to the skunk gods...just to have a good year afterward...bring it on.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sounds like I must have been following your thoughts for long enough I'm starting to think they are my own.... That was pretty much in line with what I am thinking.... Hoping for a good year at Willard, but expecting it to be slower than the last few... but knowing it is time for a building period... Good luck on the northern ice breaker trip.. Later J
[signature]
Good read thanks Pat. Sounds like Willard is still Willard. Hope to get up there in April.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Pat and Chris!!!
[signature]
Great information! Hopefully I can find another tubing date up there with you this spring.

My last tubing outing with you there still rates as one of my best tubing days ever.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, we did get some good tugs and ripped some lips.

Have your peeps contact my peeps and we will hatch another meetup.

Mid April is usually about when the crappies start showing up. By May it is usually wide open for all species. But every year can be different...with different water levels, different weather, different fish populations, etc.

I'll be hitting it regularly, along with others on the board. Keep an eye on the reports and you can jump in whenever you can arrange your schedule and the conditions look good.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great info Pat, thanks for sharing the comments Chris made to you. I agree with Jeff and you about the lack of eyes caught at Willard last year. Wipers caught were about the same but bigger cats being caught were up for sure. The perch did not get a chance to make use of the high water levels last year when they spawned but the crappie sure did. This years spawn should be a good for both crappie and perch with water levels already getting up to, the high water level we had last year. Ice is now off the South marina and with the winds we had today, it won't be long before it's off the rest of the lake. If we get a break in the weather this week, I might just have to get the boat out and see whats up out there.[Wink]
[signature]
Driving past Willard late this afternoon, I saw no ice at all, but I didn't stop to check with binoculars....choppy water is all I saw...
[signature]
Thanks for the info and posting this. Interesting info. Can't wait to get back out. Are these reports posted publicly for other waters? I couldn't find any from a quick search.
[signature]
+1 on the kitties. They're my #1 targeted fish when fishing with a flyrod at Willard. August, September and into October was excellent last year. Many 10+ fish days. I spent the winter restocking the flybox and am ready to go.

Larry
[signature]
[#0000FF]Most Utah waters do get periodic netting surveys. But Willard Bay is the only one for which there are detailed annual reports available to the public. A large part of that is due to the efforts of Chris Penne and other biologists who participate in the studies and then generate the reports. And Chris has been willing to provide me a copy when I ask, along with permission to share it on the board.

It helps that Chris is an avid and knowledgeable angler...and that he also spends a lot of time actually fishing on Willard. So his perspective is different than that of some other biologists who approach the studies strictly from the science end of things.

In truth, I have never fully explored the potential for getting similar reports on other Utah waters. I suspect there is something available. I have been fortunate in developing reciprocity relationships with several of the Utah DWR biologists and will assign myself to make contacts and try to find out what else might be available.

Otherwise, if you want to make your own queries, I have found that most DWR people are open and approachable...if you use proper channels and show proper respect. You can check the [url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/about-us/contact-us.html"]DWR Website[/url] (link) for lists of employees...with phone numbers and email addresses. I have always gotten phone messages returned and emails answered when I have specific questions.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote FatBiker]+1 on the kitties. They're my #1 targeted fish when fishing with a flyrod at Willard. August, September and into October was excellent last year. Many 10+ fish days. I spent the winter restocking the flybox and am ready to go.

Larry[/quote]

That awesome you are targeting cat's on the fly rod Larry. I've caught a couple at Willard fly fishing for Wipers but I would love to catch some more kitties on the fly. Do you mind sharing some of your techniques and fly patterns?

Thanks!

Mark
[signature]
First of all I would like to thank Tube Dude and Wiperhunter2 for all they contribute to this site. The tips provided (to include maps) have helped me attempt to figure out Willard and the waters.

I started fishing it 2 Summers ago (tube and boat) and have gone from "I hope I get a bite" in the early days to epic days during last years fishing. Many local fishermen have helped as well by sharing info...color of a lure. depth, trolling speed etc.

The coolest thing about Willard is that when one specie stops or slows down biting another one starts! Starting with Wiper. In 2015 I experienced my first wiper at Willard...it was about 1.5 pound fish and I thought I had a 10 pounder on the line...ounce for ounce in my opinion no other fish comes close. I still get excited when they slam the rod. I fish solo mostly so when both rods go down I get doubly excited!

It was my experience that the crappie started biting towards the end of April and the walleye (my favorite eating fish) picked up the slack from the end of May until mid June. I bottom bounce for the eyes and was surprised that I started to catch cat fish in mid June...(they also put up a nice fight).

Ice fishing keeps me busy and content through the cold months but it doesn't compare to the thrill I get when I wet a line at Willard.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention what a great job our DWR professionals do. I am sure Willard wouldn't be such a great fishery if not for their involvement and dedication!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sounds like another happy Willardite.

Thanks for shopping. Hope you find even greater shopping success in the coming years.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Favorite pattern is a white Chrystal Bugger tied on a 4 streamer hook with lead eyes. Use sharpie markers to give them either a blue or chartreuse back. Second is a midnight fire crystal bugger with a black tail and a purple hackle. As far as techniques, pound the rocks on the dike. Most time if I didn't get a fish by the fourth strip I'd pick it up and throw it six inches down the dike and do it again. Fished the west side a bunch out of a tube. Fish were caught on a floating line and a sink tip. Usually used the sink tip. Doesn't hurt to take a spinning rod with you and drag a three inch gulp minnow (black shad or chartruese). Smallmouth bass seemed to like a black wolly worm with a red tail pretty good several times. Hope this helps.

Larry
[signature]
TD, Thanks for posting the report and the comments. I may have to try at least one more trip there this year. Although my pond might have enough water to fish all summer this year!

Thanks to Chris and the DWR folks for great report as well.
[signature]