Bear Lake Conditions Report 2/28/2017
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Bear Lake Fishing Report:

As of Tuesday, 2/28/2017, the lake is still mostly ice covered due to cold weather the last few days. There is no safe ice for ice fishing, nor open water for boat fishing. The Utah State Park has plowed the ramp at the marina and deicers running inside the marina which have thawed the marina, but there is still ice along the shoreline at the ramp which makes launching difficult or impossible. So, there continues to be NO ACCESS for fishing (ice, boat or shore) on Bear Lake at this time. Ice is stacked up, or can be stacked up, due to wind, along the east shorelines in several areas and we don’t recommend trying to launch a boat at this time.

Once the lake is clear of ice fishing should be good for Cutthroat Trout and Lake Trout by both jigging and trolling. Concentrate your efforts off rockpile, 2nd Point, and the Utah State Park Marina. Best fishing will be with ¾ to 1 ounce tube jigs tipped with Cisco or Sucker meat right on the bottom. If you decide to troll, use minnow-type lures off of downrigger. Fish can be found at any depth at this time of the year

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
The pond is frozen, and several inches of new snow on top of the ice has made it difficult to judge ice thickness. Check ice conditions with a spud bar before venturing onto to the ice. Fishing should be good for Rainbow Trout using small ice flies with a Gulp maggot or wax worm.

Laketown Reservoir
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]Laketown Reservoir is totally frozen and the only access is by snowmobile, cross country skis or snowshoes. Use small jigs or ice flies tipped with a wax worm or meal worm.
[signature]
Thanks Scott that answers some questions that I've been hearing fairly often lately... Thanks for the update.. J
[signature]
Thanks BLFG, answers my question on what to do!
[signature]
Thanks Scott, I was ready to hit Thurs Mar 2. A few days of warmer conditions now in store and some wind should put us in the ballpark soon.
[signature]
We had some big wind last night and the lake has a lot less ice today. I haven't been over on the east side, but I'm guessing it is stacked up. It may be possible to launch at the marina if it warms up the next day or two. The only spot with ice is along the shoreline, but I'm guessing that you might be able to manage it?
[signature]
Well, I did make a trip up there today. Logan Canyon is open and clear. From Ricks Springs going over past the rest stop road is wet from melting snow and could become a hazard as temps start to drop. Upon arrival at GC state park launch ramp has been plow as stated with some broken thin ice in water. Noticed a lone truck & boat trailer in parking lot so there was someone on the water. There were a couple of small ice fields floating but one can maneuver around those. I drove south thru GC and did see a boat out at the rockpile. I would normally chance launching but I'm going to wait until early next week so canyon road can dry out a little more. Storm coming in this weekend also so I want to see what impact its going to have. Here some pics from the state park. I didn't venture to the east side for conditions. One more thing, new fish cleaning station was being worked on. Its time to get the big boys toys out on the water. You gotta love this time of year with the absents of lake lice.
[signature]
Thanks for the reports Scott and Bduck.
[signature]