Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh CJ Intel ?
Thinking of sweeping the cobwebs off of the boat, is there any fresh intel on CJ?
[signature]
Water is muddy. There is a ton of crap coming down on the Snake side. Just be careful. The Brineau side has been really muddy too. I am itching to try it too. Maybe Saturday.
[signature]
Thanks Mojo. Is the muddy water reservoir wide or is it settled out in the main body?
[signature]
Sweep Dem cobwebs off! [Wink]We activated a plan and had a dandy day and didn't have to stray far from the Air Force Ramp. The water temp was 47 when we launched and peaked at 52. The visibility was around 18"-24'' . A great time catching paper mouths up to 13". We kept 30 and rifled around 12 back. A nice start to the 2017 boating season[fishin]
[inline cj.jpg]
[signature]
I don't need much more convincing than that! Thanks Squarehog!
[signature]
Thanks sounds like agreat day
[signature]
Nice job hog!
[signature]
We managed to pick up a couple nice crappie today, but man that wind was brutal. Water was ranging 41 degrees in the narrows up to 48 in the Snake arm. Lots of fish staged up.
[signature]
Nice Johnny. So jealous.
[signature]
Hey Johnny, Did you throw the bug traps in? If so, how'd you do on those?
[signature]
Hey thanks Neil. It was nice to have a calm day out there. We didn't throw the bug traps out yet.. I'm thinking the crawl- daddy's are in slow motion down there but who knows??
[signature]
I went to CJ on Saturday. Fishing was okay. Water in the narrows (and I assume the Bruneau arm) was pretty dirty. Main body was much better. 3 of us caught about 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket of mixed crappie and perch. Looking forward to my next trip.
[signature]
Spent the weekend there, 30 ft of water in front of the air force ramp seemed to be the best.
[signature]
Planning to spend some time over there this weekend with the gks. Anyone have any new reports they don't mind sharing?
[signature]
I fished a couple of spots at CJ on Saturday. Marked lots of fish but only caught 2 crappie in 4 hours. Talked to a few other boats with same story.
[signature]
Hmmmm. I fished there Friday and Saturday with very different results.

Arrived on Friday about 9:00 ish. Fished until about 4, caught about 40 crappie. That was just me. My friend also caught fish, but only about 1/2 as many.

Saturday I arrived at about 8:00ish. Fished until about 1:00. It was slower, no doubt, but still caught over 20, again, just my personal count. My 11 year old grand daughter fished about 1/2 the time and caught 6 without any help except for me cleaning up the occasional tangle.

Not sure what we'd be doing different, but we were using 2 jig setups (standard classic crappie jigs). Most of the fish were down close to 30 feet, but when you found a few that moved up to 10 or 20 feet they were fairly aggressive. We did not do much cast and reel stuff. Mainly fished straight down with a close eye on the sonar, just like we would if we were ice fishing.

I've actually been very pleased with our catch rates this year as it is very early for me to be catching crappie in the quantities we've been getting.
[signature]
I might also mention that we use 4 and 5 lb test only on ultra light rods. Anything bigger seems to severely limit bite detection. Don't know if any of that info helps, but I'm not willing to give up my locations at this point. Places get crowded very quickly on CJ and Brownlee is too low to fish right now.
[signature]
How about that fog Saturday? I marked fish all over the main pool at 30 ft, but I was bass fishing and went up river. The Bruneau is still pretty dirty and slow.
[signature]
Fog Saturday was spooky. I just knew I was lost and then BAMM! Right on my spot. Gks were totally freaked out.
[signature]
Headed up to strike this weekend. Will be camping in cove arm. Has any body been up that far this year? Any intel would be very appreciated.
[signature]