Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Ballgame 3-14-17
[#0000FF]I think the full moon got the fish and the warm sun got me. I was overly optimistic. Hoped for a Willard "slam"...4 species. Had to settle for a bloop single. One little cookie cutter kitty. But better than black and white kitty.

Beautiful day. Glass from 7:30 launch to noon departure. North marina water temps 44 at launch and 46 at noon. Water surprisingly clear...and the highest I have seen it in like forever.

Several other boat players on the water. And got in a quick look at fellow tuber/tooner Ahi. Checked out his newly motorized ride. Looking good.

The game? I played the outfield (main lake) and ran the infield (marina). Covered a lot of ground but saw very little on my sonar screen. Had a couple of foul tips (pop and drops) on bait and a couple of bunts (light hits) on plastic. But no walleyes, wipers or crappies were harmed in the game today.

Worthy of note: water level inside the marina is up to 13 feet...flooding the brush around the shoreline. Had a tip from a knowledgeable regular that there are crappies moving into the marina...but they are slow and touchy. Takes finesse and luck. But as soon as the water temps pass the 50 degree mark the slabs will start showing better. Likely to be a lot better inside than outside this year of higher water levels.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
To bad on the catchin but I know it was better than my day of just looking out and dreaming, but I did catch more than you,[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
[#0000FF]About an hour into the fishless morning I began to regret that I had not gone south.

You caught more than me? Did you catch hell from the boss?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey, TD....
Nice post and nice pics (as always). You at least got to go fishing, and to me that's a Grand Slam EVERY time.
[signature]
Na he knows I have problems, just a lot of big ones in my dreams, hopefully this weekend I can make it reality again[Smile]
it sounds like you had a woulda coulda shouda moment
I hate those[mad]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hey Pat I think that was better than what you thought you'd get when I talked to ya last week... Glad you kept the pole cat out of the tube... I'm almost thinking of trying the cats up my way, but I'm afraid I know what I'll get... Maybe going to have to do it, just to pay my dues... so I can break the ice and get the season going... Thanks for the report... Sure better than my work was today... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]It's always easier to "second guess" yourself than make good first guesses. But with me, whenever I stop to think, I sometimes can't get started again.

But, as I mentioned in our PM exchange, I didn't have high expectations...but I did want to check some depths and other factors with the higher water levels...to be able to properly plan for a couple of weeks from now.

If I had planned the trip strictly on the basis of potential for fish catchin' you know I would have pointed my tube south instead of north.

Now that I'm ready to get back down your way Mama Nature looks like she is gonna have another series of hissy fits.

Hope you can make it to your wallie humps...and that you don't get blown off. Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you heard a slapping sound coming from Willard Bay, that was me whackin' myself upside the head. I have to remind myself every year that my fishing anxiety does not drive fish activity. They do what they want, when they are ready...and not just because us foolish fishermen want them to.

I have had some good days in March, in the past. And I have caught some big fish in March. But if I am being honest (a fisherman?) I will have to admit that any fishy love before late April into May is not the norm.

Still...better to have fished and lost than never to have fished at all.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Glad you kept the skunk off Pat. With all the submerged brush this year, there should be a good spawn for all the pan fish, at least I hope so.
[signature]
didn't get any better after you left Pat. it was a skunk day for me. but it was a great day to be out.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Thanks for the info. Pat, I need to register my toon' and get some baitfish flies tied up for some Wiper action.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry you didn't score anything. It is early and the water levels are really different this year. Changing fish patterns and frustrating anglers. But it is early. Got optimism it will get better.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I suspect there will be fewer crappies than the last two years. But if they bring off a good spawn we will see the results in a few years. Likely to be poor next year...and maybe the year after.

I hope the shad spawn better this year so there is enough for all the predators. The young shad got cleaned up pretty fast last year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]Thanks for the info. Pat, I need to register my toon' and get some baitfish flies tied up for some Wiper action.[/quote]

[#0000FF]It is going to be a different game this year with the higher water. Best spring wiper action will likely be along the dikes instead of over the humps. We shall see what we shall see.

I have made up some new shad patterns on my hot heads. Gonna throw them on my 7 weight...with that sink tip line I got from you.

[inline SHAD.JPG]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat,
Did you make any extra's of those flies you'd sell? If so I'd like to get a couple from you to try... Larry was telling me how much fun he has been having throwing flies to the catfish at Willard, so I think I'd like to take my 8 wt along with me this year... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]Only made a few to try, but easy enough to make more. I suspect they will work well, since those are the colors I have been doing well with on my custom painted plastics.

I don't know if they will work any better than some of the other patterns that have already been proven on Willard. I think Remo was using a couple of clouser patterns to good effect last year. And I know several fly flingers that just throw any good white pattern, like crystal buggers. As a general rule if you find active fish they will hit a lot of different things.

Let me know if you decide you simply gotta have a couple to try and we can work something out.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
No problem Pat, I have some crystal buggers that will probably work, but if those flies do well and you end up tying more up, I'd love to get some from you... Like the look of those plastics too, have you fished them much? Color's are sure good, for what I've caught fish on at Willard... I need to learn how to color things up on my own... Seems like a cisco color plastic tube could make the bear lake jigging a little more productive... Thanks Pat... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have had a lot of fun...and caught a lot more fish with custom paint job plastics. But it can be spendy to put together an assortment of colors and thinners. I would be glad to help you by painting up a few for you to try before you go crazy. I have added spots, bars, stripes and other "enhancements" to large tubes and other plastics for a few fellow BFTers. Here's a "white hooker" I made for Coot.

[inline HOOKER.jpg]

I am attaching a writeup on custom coloring that might give you some ideas.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hay Pat what do you think of this new pattern, I'm going to try this afternoon.
[signature]
Thanks Pat,
I'll get that studied up on and get back with you, looks like fun..... Maybe a paint night I could get into.... Later J
[signature]