Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine Reservoir
I'd heard that the ice on Porcupine had cleared off late last week so I decided to try it this morning. The reservoir is full with excess water going over the spillway. There seems to more driftwood and other debris around the edges than you typically see in the spring after ice off, so much so that my favorite cove was not fishable from shore. The water is still quite clear. The easternmost boat launch looks to be in good shape although it was a bit muddy this morning. I fished for about 3 hours, using night crawlers shallow and deep, and also tossed a Rapala. Didn't get a single bite or strike. There were other fisherman there but I don't know how successful they were.
Thanks for the report, seems like it's always tough to get them started at the pig in the spring... Good to know it's clear and ready to go... Did you float or were you just fishing from shore? Always fun to try trolling for Kokes in the spring... Shore fishing up there has always been hard for me to find much success... Later J
[signature]
I was fishing from shore. No one was out on the water while I was there. It was windy and it rained quite a bit so the conditions were less than ideal for any type of watercraft. Might take the boat up in a week or two.
Wow that's really full. Thanks for the pics and good luck if you try it. Later J
[signature]
Road had a "road closed" sign this morning right at the cattle guard down low..
[signature]
Apparently the Little Bear River above Hyrum Dam has approached flood stage in the last couple of days and it has probably affected the road to Porcupine or will in the near future.
[signature]
Wow been a lot of years since I seen that. Like 35 years since it washed the road and bridge out last time. But that was in May right before the season opener. That was a good time, we went up the canal road and got in. Long story but not for tonight. Later J
[signature]