Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heart Lake Yellowstone
Have any of you hiked in and fished Heart Lake in Yellowstone? I'm interested in doing it this year and would love to hear if anyone has experience doing so?
[signature]
Never done heart lake but I have heard the fishing is great. Also heard it's quite a ways on foot and that there's a lot of bears in that area. But it is Yellowstone. Would love to hear any reports you experience on this lake though. If you want information for Shoshone lake I can help you more on that one.
[signature]
It's a magical place, you'll love it! Very strict regulations but the fishing is amazing. Bear threat is real for sure and it's possible for the park rangers to have you stay at a different spot than you've planned. This due to bear activity. You have to get down deep to get the big lakers. Tie up some heavy non lead ( no lead in the park ) rabbit hair jigs...whit/grey and use a float tube to get to a deep area...then let the breeze push you around while you jig.

Good luck!
[signature]
You're like the Yellowstone guru, Ironrod! How many times a year do you fish the Park? You mentioned previously you fish Yellowstone Lake on the opener and you seems very familiar with a lot of the water there... Can't say I blame you. That place is paradise!
[signature]
Thanks, Belasko. I may have to take you up on the offer regarding Shoshone if my party isn't willing to hike the seven miles to Heart Lake. We fished Shoshone for the first time last fall (2015) and tried to hit the migration of browns into the channel, but we didn't time it right. We ended up catching quite a few lakers on Shoshone from the shore. Just one brown. Wouldn't be a bad back up of Heart Lake falls through...
[signature]
We always pack in on the Delacy trail from the north to Shoshone Lake with float tubes. Make it a day trip. 3 miles each way and mostly flat. Even the steep parts aren't all that steep and they're short stretches. The norm for 4-5 of us is to land an estimated 75 fish in the 3-4 hours we fish it. We're hitting it late June and using fly rods, except my son who uses some lead free jigs tied up like woolie buggers on a spinning rod. I can't imagine how good it would be if we could hit the trail at around 7 a.m. if we didn't have to get our tubes checked ahead of time. If you need more info than that PM me and I'll be happy to share a little more on that particular area.
[signature]
Thanks, I'd fish it more of i could! Last year i think we hit it 8 times, mostly in the early summer but fall trips are amazing too. Elk bugling can be amazing in sept/oct. If you want lakers june is your month. Cutties are year round. Good luck, take some good pics! I plan on video this year...will share the link once i do
Here's an "average" 25 inch cutthroat😊
[signature]
Average...haha. Look at those colors! That must be on Yellowstone Lake judging from the boat.
[signature]
Hey Belasko, I'm from Utah and love fishing for large brook trout. I have heard rumours of some large brookies in the park. PM me if you're willing to divulge some info. Thanks.
[signature]
[Wink] yep, yellowstone lake
[signature]