Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp near Boise?
Hi everyone - first post here, go easy on me!

I'm an Idaho native but grew up exclusively fly fishing for trout. I live in Boise and have recently caught the carp bug and I'm dying to figure out how to catch carp on the fly in SW Idaho. Been out the last two weekends and I can't figure out if it's the ultra-high water and runoff this year or me, but I can't seem to figure this out.

I don't have a boat, but do have (or have access to) a float tube and/or one-man pontoon boat. I was at Lake Lowell today (flooded, no sign of carp), have checked out numerous local ponds (Lake Harbor, Ann Morrison, Whitewater) all with the big zippo.

I've heard all of the above hold carp. Is it the time of year, water levels, just me, or something else? Where should I be looking to sight fish for these bad boys?
[signature]
[quote Skiermike]

I've heard all of the above hold carp. Is it the time of year, water levels, just me, or something else? Where should I be looking to sight fish for these bad boys?[/quote]

You are looking in the right places. Just at the wrong time. Give it a few weeks.
[signature]
Lake Lowell is going to be your best bet this early, maybe some West facing bay's at CJ strike, water is pretty cold and dirty, but I bet if you go out to the South side of LL you will see some in the shallows already, they tend to be less than 4 lbs in LL, the river will get good when it clears and goes down a bunch, Brownlee you probably could find some, but there again to cold and dirty, they will still be fairly deep yet, good luck,
Matt
[signature]