Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican 4/1
Had a nice trip out to Pelican with BoatGuy and his son on Saturday. Started out pretty slow with a cool morning and a breeze throughout the day. As noon approached the water started warming a bit and that triggered some bass to get feeding. Neg rig worked best with a green/white Senko. Crazy thing was that we were using regular nails instead of Nail weights as Cabelas and Sportsmans were all out... but they still worked [cool]

I was surprised that most the bass we caught were on the larger size (2 to 2-1/2lbs) which was a first for me out of that body of water. BoatGuy ended up taking home some for fish tacos which is always a treat.

The next few weeks should really turn things on as the water continues to warm up. Be prepared for LOTS of gnats when the wind isn't blowing. [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, good to see you had a good time.
[signature]
What do you think the guys that invented the nail rigs used originally ??? Small finishing and box nails !! That was all that was available and that is what they used. May be cheaper to go that way than buying the "special" ones in the store !!
Neko Rig or Ned Rig?

The funny thing about that rig, we've never used anything other than a household nail or screw. I don't think the fish care about where the nail was purchased. The only issue you ever run into is getting a nail or screw that is heavy enough. sounds like you guys slammed them. Nice work.
[signature]
Neko Rig - sorry for the confusion. Good ol finishing nails from Walmart did the trick and I was surprised how much weight they added to the Senko. You're right that the fish don't know the difference, expecially when its inside the bait [sly]
[signature]
What were water temps?
[signature]
We started getting bites when the water temp hit 51.5 - 52 degrees. As the days get warmer the fishing will only get better.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!