Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay - This Afternoon
Plan on hitting Willard Bay this afternoon. Any rumor on the water temps? Any word on what the Wipers are hitting on? I'll be fishing from a boat.
[signature]
[quote Access-Denied]Plan on hitting Willard Bay this afternoon. Any rumor on the water temps? Any word on what the Wipers are hitting on? I'll be fishing from a boat.[/quote]

Several of us on the forum were out there over the weekend and it was not very productive, water temps were 48-49.5 and the fish were not very active, and with the cold temps the last few nights plus cold runoff feeding the lake I would expect about the same today and until it warms up quite a bit.
[signature]
Good luck to you, I'm still probably a week or so away from putting the boat on the water. I just picked up my State park pass yesterday, sure is nice not having to pay for it this year. [cool]
[signature]
[:/]

I guess it can't hurt to try. Maybe I'll end up going to Rockport instead of Willard Bay. But dang it, I wanna get back into the Wipers.
[signature]
Being new on walleye,what water temperature are you looking for?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Walleye go into a prespawn feeding period shortly after iceout...when water temps rise above about 40 degrees. That will last until water temps stay above 45 and head toward 50. Then they go into spawn mode and the best fishing is around the rocks at different places on the lake...usually doing better and dawn and dusk...and sometimes for extended periods after dark.

The real walleye action begins after the spawn, when the walleyes go on a post spawn feedup. That usually begins in May...when water temps are reaching about 60 degrees. They stay pretty active, feeding even during the day, until the heat of summer takes the water temps much above about 75. Then they feed better at night or during early morning. But a lot of wiper anglers still catch them on trolled cranks...at speed.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thank you TubeDude
This is why I joined this forum you guys have a wealth of information and have no problem sharing it
[signature]
[#0000FF]You are welcome. Now go catch some fish and post a report so others can benefit from your experience.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
+1[cool]
[signature]
I wondered if this is information for Willard specifically or if those water temperatures are a good to generally apply to all walleye lakes? I know lakes at different altitudes will reach those water temperatures and different times of the year but not sure if different lakes have different temps that trigger the spawn and what not
[signature]
Willard has kicked my butt 4 times now this year, twice in a kayak and twice from shore. I was slaying wipers this week last year , but nothing so far this season. I'm really hoping for a warm up soon. I have some friends bringing a boat over from Wyoming in two weeks and really hope we get on the fish. I'd hate for them to make the big trip and have the fishing as dead as it has been. Not even cats the past trips and usually get kitties by accident there. Good luck.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Those temperatures are pretty much applicable wherever there are walleyes. But there can be variables on individual waters...due to changes in weather, water levels, water clarity, etc. Each year may be very different from the previous year so it pays to put in the time starting early and fishing beyond the anticipated active times.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Squawminnow]Willard has kicked my butt 4 times now this year, twice in a kayak and twice from shore. I was slaying wipers this week last year , but nothing so far this season. I'm really hoping for a warm up soon. I have some friends bringing a boat over from Wyoming in two weeks and really hope we get on the fish. I'd hate for them to make the big trip and have the fishing as dead as it has been. Not even cats the past trips and usually get kitties by accident there. Good luck.[/quote]

I would keep an eye out on here for fishing reports, with real snowpack and a lot of cold runoff this year it could be a bit before the water warms up and clears. So between the cold water feeding into the bay and affecting water clarity, as well as the food from all of the runoff, it may be a while before they get aggressive.
[signature]
Over the past month the water temps have been dancing around the 50 deg mark. Ive seen 52.3 in the north marina so far that has been the warmest. We have done decent for eyes on Willard this yr...caught more so far this year than at this time last year.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Snagging at the inlet must be good.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
lol...right Pat...combat fishing at it's finest...no thanks...were out now and the wipers are on!...see pic
[signature]
I'm wondering exactly what those wipers are on ha I fished from 6:30 am to 7:00 p.m. On Monday with nothin to show for it ha the only thing that was on was my Confused face...
[signature]
Use divers...water clarity sucks so stick to bright shinny
[signature]