Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutler Skunken
Had big plans to really nail the fish today. Picked up a can full of worms, got my set line out and the rain quit and the sun came out. Launched about 9:00 and spent the next hour trying to get my set line out untangled and baited. What a pain. Then I tried trolling worms for a couple hours with no luck. So I went to the honey hole and anchored and fished bobber and bottom worms until the wind came up as a new storm blew over the mountain and nothing but a snag. Picked up the set line on the way in and nada. Worst Skunken I've had in a long time. Later J
[signature]
Sorry to hear it didn't go your way. Misery loves company though.
I spent 4.5 hours at Cutler on Thursday and only got one bite. It was a 36 incher, but I never even got it close enough to scare him.
Friday I spent a couple of hours in the wind, and no bites.
I'm looking forward to more stable temperatures.
[signature]
Yup next week I hope will bring some better conditions for fishing... Lot of water out of this storm, I'm sure it will take a few days to clear the floods out, but by Wednesday or Thursday might be back to decent fishing... Well better go finish licking my wounds... later J
[signature]
Same down here today
[signature]
Hey Greg
Sorry no luck when you finally get a chance to get out. Maybe next trip. Better luck next time. Later J
[signature]
Hey Jeff. It's just too cold yet up here.

I tried today over at one of my honey holes, and didn't even get a nibble. The snow from last night was melted away. It was the bitter breeze that was keeping the fish from moving around, I'm willing to bet.

It was just good to get out, though. Once that water warms up just a couple more degrees, it will pick up and those kitties will become active.

Should prob make a run down to UL and get a ride on BLK so we can get on the board!
[signature]
Sorry I was trying to post a video, but for some reason it would not work. It was something the guy called a YoYo setline and I was wondering if that would be legal on Cutler? You can probably google: Fishing with WD40 Muddy River Catfishing, and it will come up
[signature]
Yup it was too cold of a weekend I guess. At least the fishing was cold for me. Lets hope next week is better. Later J
[signature]
Dude, what's up with that? You are the master of Cutler under any conditions.
[signature]
I don't think there are legal in Utah. They actually set the hook automatically. This is where the violation is.
[signature]
Respectfully, I don't find anything in the 2017 guidebook to indicate that a yo-yo or any other automatic hook setting device would not be legal in Utah. I'm thinking this is not too different from a jaw-jacker for ice fishing. The mechanics are different, but the effect is the same.

The rules on setlines don't say anything about automatic hook setting:

Setline means a line anchored to a non-moving
object and not attached to a fishing pole.

and

The following rules apply to setline fishing:
•You may not fish with more than
one setline.
•A setline may not contain more than
15 hooks.
•When fishing with a setline, you must
be within 100 yards of the surface or the
bank of water you’re fishing from.
•One end of your setline must be attached
to a non-moving object that is not
attached to a fishing pole. Your setline
must also have a legible tag attached to
it that includes your name, address and
setline permit number.
•While fishing with a setline, you can also
fish with up to two fishing poles.

[signature]
I don't know what to say about the yo-yo line. But I see some others have commented. They are so much work it's sure a disappointment when you don't even get one fish. Later J
[signature]
Oh Rod you know better than that, I'm far from good on Cutler. I'll sure keep trying though. One day I'll catch a fair fish though. Later J
[signature]