Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba report -- Catching wipers!
The latest UDWR report for Yuba Reservoir:

"Angling pressure has been light. Anglers have reported catching wipers. For wipers, try using shad-imitating lures, spinnerbaits or plastic jigs. For walleye, try using Rapala flat jigs, Gary Yamamoto Tate Pencils or Rapala Down Deep Husky Jerks. (Last update 04-18-17)"

I have a hunch that someone made a mistake in putting up this report for Yuba. I researched the fished planting reports for Yuba and, according to the reports, wipers have never been planted in Yuba. I was surprised that macks have been planted and just about everything else, but no wipers.

[signature]
It's still possible that wipers have been planted in there. DWR isn't perfect at reporting all stocking data they have. I know of at least a few stocking incidents that DWR made to lakes near me that don't appear on the report. Just you wait until we start seeing trophy lake trout and wiper photos from Yuba, then you'll be a believer[Tongue]
[signature]
Or somebody "cut" the Willard report and "pasted" it under Yuba...
[signature]
I just got a reply from Paul Thompson after asking him about this report. He said he was not aware of wipers being in Yuba but he forward my Email to Chris Crocket, he is in charge of Yuba. We will get you an answer.
[signature]
Thanks, but it is obvious that isn't the correct report for Yuba. Either that or someone had wiper on their brain when they typed the Yuba report.
[signature]
Well it looks like you are partially correct. Here is the reply I got from Chris:

"It is true we've had a few wipers turn up in Yuba. We believe these
are coming from some waters fairly far upstream. There's no doubt
there have been a few caught but we believe they are in very low
densities and aren't really encouraging people to make the drive to
fish for them. Our outreach department is updating that report to
clarify the low density's."
[signature]
Thanks, learn something new every day. Here is the updated report from the UDWR website:

"Angling pressure has been light. Surprisingly, anglers have reported catching a few wipers. These fish are believed to be in low densities and have been swept downstream from other waters. Fishing is slow for walleye and northern pike. Despite the slow pike fishing, Yuba provides a great opportunity to catch a trophy-sized fish. Recent fishery surveys found that the majority of the northern pike in Yuba are more than 36 inches long. If you're fishing for walleye, try using Rapala flat jigs, Gary Yamamoto Tate Pencils or Rapala Down Deep Husky Jerks. (04-20-17)"
[signature]
the kid down the road posted a wipper on FB that he caught off the dam at yuba last week..
[crazy][Tongue]
[signature]
How big was the wiper Ron? I wonder what lake up stream has wipers in it[:/]?
[signature]
that big
[signature]
Now that's a decent Wiper for a lake that isn't supposed to have any...[cool]
[signature]
Thats a nice fat wiper, looks like its been eating good, especially for a lake with little food[Wink].
[signature]
my friend caught this wiper at yuba while we were walleye fishing
[signature]
I believe they were stocked, either accidentally or intentionally. I can't believe they made it all the way from Piute or Otter Creek!
[signature]
My question too ?? What upstream lake has been stocked with Wipers ? Yuba is on the Sevier River, up stream are some small waters around Manti, and Piute. Has Piute been stocked with wipers ??? Redmond is the source of the Northerns in Yuba, but it does not have wiper. Wipers in Piute would have a large supply of chubs and rainbows.
there is still tons of Carp in there...

humpy
[signature]
[quote Therapist]My question too ?? What upstream lake has been stocked with Wipers ? Yuba is on the Sevier River, up stream are some small waters around Manti, and Piute. Has Piute been stocked with wipers ??? Redmond is the source of the Northerns in Yuba, but it does not have wiper. Wipers in Piute would have a large supply of chubs and rainbows.[/quote]

Piute has been stocked with wipers as has Otter Creek. I doubt that the fish came from Otter Creek, but I wouldn't doubt that they came from Piute. Piute has been essentially drained two straight years. I fish quite a lot in the Sevier River below Piute and this year the number of rainbows in the river has jumped a lot simply because the fish left the reservoir and are now in the river. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if some wipers move down river to Yuba. The amount of water running down the river throughout the summer would make that an easy trip.
[signature]
oh there is lot's of food in the lake.. look at how big the carp, pike and walleye are getting.. it's more the carp are eating everything that a small bait fish needs to as well the small bait fish.. not many survive the carp to get big.. no cover for the perch pike and walleye eating each other.. makes for a hard place for any of them to grow past the first year.. well other then the carp they seem to get more and more..

this year there should be a lot of fish washing down river.. lets hope that something other then more carp are in the mix.. [crazy]
[signature]
I thought wipers could not reproduce ,but after looking it up on the web, it said they can and do reproduce.
If they start spawning successfully the only fish left in Yuba will be Northerhs and wipers. sounds like Yuba might need more forage fish and artificial reefs for them to hide in.
[signature]
This is a quote I pulled off another State's web site and it reflects my understanding.

"Hybrid striped bass, like many hybrids, experience great difficulty reproducing naturally. Eggs and sperm produced by hybrids are usually weak or improperly formed. The same is true of any fry that might be produced by chance fertilization. For this reason, hybrids are considered “functionally sterile,” and their populations are totally dependent on repeated stockings."

My understanding is that documented success had been observed when they spawn with either Striped Bass or White Bass, but both of these spawn at overlapping but different temperatures so it occurs only very rarely. (White Bass spawn around 54 to 68 degrees, Stripped Bass spawn around 65 and up, Wipers seem to try to spawn around upper 50's.

Wipers have been created (hybridized) for a long time and no cases have been documented ever of them starting a self sustaining population. Not even once.
[signature]