Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulling doubles
Hi! First I want to say I'm generally against pulling doubles, especially with bumper-pull trailers. However, I'm starting to consider it.
I have a small 12' aluminum boat set up on a small PWC trailer. Tongue weight is maybe 20-30 lbs and total weight (just guessing here) is probably no more than 300 lbs (boat motor will be in the bed of the truck). I'm thinking of towing this behind my 30' camp trailer which is set up behind my F350 with an equalizer hitch.
I understand any sway in the back trailer can really be amplified in the front trailer. My question is how much might this happen with such a small, light rig on the back? I know I've seen people towing full size boats or ATV trailers behind bumper-pull camp trailers, and that's too much potential trouble for me.
Any thoughts or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input or tips on setting it up would also be appreciated.
[signature]
This is what I did, get one of those truck racks where you can put the boat on the rack, over the bed of the truck. That way you can still put stuff in the bed of the truck. If you do decide to put the boat behind your camp trailer, I'd recommend putting one of those cameras back there, behind the trailer, so you can keep an eye on the trailer.
[signature]
[quote addicted2fishin]Hi! First I want to say I'm generally against pulling doubles, especially with bumper-pull trailers. However, I'm starting to consider it.
I have a small 12' aluminum boat set up on a small PWC trailer. Tongue weight is maybe 20-30 lbs and total weight (just guessing here) is probably no more than 300 lbs (boat motor will be in the bed of the truck). I'm thinking of towing this behind my 30' camp trailer which is set up behind my F350 with an equalizer hitch.
I understand any sway in the back trailer can really be amplified in the front trailer. My question is how much might this happen with such a small, light rig on the back? I know I've seen people towing full size boats or ATV trailers behind bumper-pull camp trailers, and that's too much potential trouble for me.
Any thoughts or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input or tips on setting it up would also be appreciated.[/quote]

With such a light load attached to a much heavier tandem axle trailer you won't even notice it back there, I have done it dozens of times with far more weight than you propose.
[signature]
with so little weight, it won't be an issue. One thing I do so I can see how things are tracking is to put a PVC tube with tennis balls across the back of the boat trailer so I can see it tracking and to gauge when to pull in/out of passing lanes so as not to cut anyone off.

You can also see if your boat is fishtailing.
[signature]