Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did the wipers go?
In March I launched for the first time this year, anxious to try my new Lowrance Elite 7 TI with side scan. I left the south marina and headed to south dike. I graphed several large fish near the shore, so I put out an anchor and started casting a blue and silver rapala. Three hours later, I had caught and released 20 wipers between 3.5 -4.5 lbs. before losing my lure on #21. I called it a day and decided to hit it again the next day. The next morning the water temp had dropped 5 degrees. I never got a bite. I have been back 4 more times since and not a bite. Where oh where did they go? [mad][:/] I'm now waiting for a May warm up.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
That is typical for Willard Bay. I rarely find active fish in the same area two days in a row.
[signature]
That is the true nature of wipers they have a secret spot that I have determined to find. My best guess is out the south marina north for 1.4 miles, then west 2.1 miles. Then down for one mile. Best luck to you.
[signature]
I think I know what happened. The wiper who finally stole your lure took it to "show and tell" and now all the other wipers know not to bite on ones like it.
[signature]
I guess that schooling wipers are smarter than I realized.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
They were after all in "school". [Wink]
[signature]
YEP show and tell..
[signature]
My guess, whatever they had up against the dike was totally gone and they moved on. they will move around until they find some more goodies and then move again. Don't try to figure them out you never will. But move often until you find them. It's good to here you caught them that way and I am pretty sure you will catch a record fish if you keep fishing it like that. Fish will be moving to the inlet for the false spawn. I would concentrate in the inlet or just outside the outlet for a few weeks and you will have another few days like that.

fnf[cool][fishon]
[signature]
Definitely the nature of wipers and stripers in general. They are constantly on the move following forage, so the fisherman must also constantly be on the move finding them! And when you come across them like you did, enjoy it because it won't happen again for awhile! I can count on 2 hands the number of times in 20 years that I've stumbled across big numbers of agressively feeding wipers...those times definitely stand out in your mind! Nothing funner! Keep at it!
[signature]