Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cub Scouts-White Bass Advice
I'm looking for a little advice as to where along Utah Lake to take a group of Cub Scouts for a fishing activity. We're going out on May 16th, so I'm hoping the White Bass fishing will be hot. Last time, we fished the Jordan river by our neighborhood, but didn't have any success. I want to give the kids the best chance to hook into some fish, and hopefully hooked on fishing.

Our neighborhood is in Lehi, just south of Main Street and bordering the Jordan River. Anywhere within a 20 minute drive would be ideal. Also, as far as bait for the white bass, I've only used curly tails. Are there more effective baits/lures?

Thanks!
[signature]
Awesome, I've got some 11 year olds that are just finishing up the fishing merit badge and looking to do the same.
[signature]
In May most the white bass will be in any of the tributaries spawning, it's easy picking for the kids just pitching jigs into the schools.

Example for you to see.

https://goo.gl/photos/cm7FF6ThanKXbEW58

Good luck and don't be afraid to take a bunch home.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
get ahold of jeff struhs hes the king at Utah lake he will hook you up hes on this site often he has jacked more fish from ut lake than any man I know hes the deal
[signature]
That is so cool, and would have been even better if shot through polarized lenses.

Awesome!
[signature]
This is good advice, above. One thing I would add. I recommend moving if you don't catch fish. Sometimes I'll re-position and start catching them 20 yards from where I was not getting a bit. Location is a much bigger deal than lure presentation. Keep moving around the mouth of a tributary (trying higher and lower, and also in the lake itself) till you encounter fish. Don't wait for the fish to come to you.

About lures, sometimes a spinning blade can help, but I don't like spinnerbait-type baits because the white bass will hit the spinner and miss the hook. The blade should be close to the hook, as with in-line spinners or spinners on jigs.

I'd keep an eye on this board as the day gets closer and see where the best fishing is at the time. I feel like it can vary by year. Also, I might try a day or two before you are out with the scouts. That can give you a sense of where the best position is. It can get crowded during the hot fishing time and choosing your initial position wisely can be the difference between catching a lot of fish and watching your neighbor catch a lot of fish. (Although I feel like there is often a good ethos of letting one's neighbor's kids into the good water if one happens to have it.) Good luck and have fun!
[signature]
While this is true, double check the regs.....

Usually the tributaries are CLOSED until the first SATURDAY in May, to protect spawning walleye.

I once watched a couple of guys getting a talking to from a DWR officer along the Provo River because they thought the regs said "closed until beginning of May".

That was only about 3 years ago. I haven't read this years.
[signature]
As well as flowing water, the WB spawn all along any rocky shore and the dikes and rip-rap. I get a lot of them all around the Pelican Bay Marina, and the Saratoga Springs area has a ton of spots, many of which are open to members or residents.

Curly jigs are a great choice. I actually get the best action on shiey, flashy stuff like small spoons, and spinners, but the fish hit the shallows and it's hard to avoid snags. I like stuff like Beetle-spins (you can buy small packs of "jig-spinners" for cheap) or roadrunners with a tube or curly body. When they are "on" they hit all kinds of stuff. Don't be afraid of bright colors like orange and pink along with flash and the normal greens, chart, and white.
[signature]
Since he said he was going well past the first I did not bring it up.

"We're going out on May 16th"

Thank you for letting him know.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Regs have changed. You can still fish for all species except walleye...until the first Saturday in May.

[#002850]Provo River, Summit, Utah and Wasatch counties
(a) From Center Street Bridge (entrance to Utah Lake State Park) upstream to I-15 (Utah County): • All suckers must be immediately released. • CLOSED to the possession of walleye from March 1 through 6 a.m. on the first Saturday of May. [/#002850]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks everybody for the great tips. I'm looking forward to a fun trip with the boys. I really appreciate the members of this forum; you always come through.
[signature]
Just keep an eye on your scouts. I know a guy that thinks he know a thing or two about scouting. Said guy ended up losing a scout in the back country(luckil the kid was found the next day). Scouts are like herding cats and I'd hate to see a kid fall in the water or worse......
[signature]
A couple years ago I started following the solunar table for fishing the white bass spawn just to see if it worked. Guess what? It worked. See this web site and enter your zip code.

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

I would start fishing at the major fishing times. Normally about 30 minutes after that time the bite would start like someone turned on a switch. Then it would taper off as the major time ended. I saw this day after day and the good bite started about 30 minutes later each day.

The crazy thing was that at the beginning of one week the bite was starting around 5:30 PM and then got later and later. Soon we were fishing at night in the dark. And there were rows and rows of people all lined up catching fish like crazy.

One day, I went and tried fishing too soon. Guess what? The fish were scarce or not biting at all.

Take it or leave it. I noticed it worked for the white bass spawn.
[signature]