Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairview/Huntington canyon info needed
Looking at a couple of Campgrounds in the Huntington (mammoth) reservoir area. I have never been in this area before and I am looking at a couple of campgrounds. Flat canyon and Lake Canyon campgrounds. Pros and cons of either? How about others in the area? Thanks in advance. Also PMs are welcome. I am looking at the first part of August.
[signature]
there are so many places to camp up there it's not funny.. way pay to camp up there? go to E-lake or the Scade valley most any place you can find flat ground up there you can camp for free!! magen that [Tongue][sly] and you have like 9 lakes in a 30 mile area with great fishing in them and a bunch of blue ribbon waters there to.. go up find a place and enjoy it! in Aug you will be fine but right now there is still 4 feet of snow up there and the huntington still has ice on it.. [mad]
[signature]
Fuzzy is right there is all kinds of places to camp, fish, ride wheelers, I would recommend a recon day ride trip, mostly to get the feel for Fairview canyon, its steep, it will give you an idea on what you feel comfortable in pulling up but mostly coming down. it will take you all summer to fish it all.
I like Electric lake myself, the busiest I have ever seen it is ten boats, and no power squadron, [Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
There are some campgrounds right next to Cleveland reservoir that look good. You would right by Cleveland and not too far from Miller's Flat (an underrated fishery if there ever was one!) Cleveland has some VERY nice fish in it.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Looking at a couple of Campgrounds in the Huntington (mammoth) reservoir area. I have never been in this area before and I am looking at a couple of campgrounds. Flat canyon and Lake Canyon campgrounds. Pros and cons of either? How about others in the area? Thanks in advance. Also PMs are welcome. I am looking at the first part of August.[/quote]

I will let you know how Flat Canyon turns out, I reserved a couple sites for a few nights in July. We have camped at other areas up there when it was just our family without reserving a spot, but this trip we have family coming from out of town and can't just leave things to chance. And yes, the fishing around there is usually pretty dang good, we will be bringing our small boat with its 9.9 on the back so we can take it on Mammoth without restriction. But make sure you check the restrictions on all bodies and streams, some have different guidelines even though they are close together. Another tidbit of info, you can check out the campground sites via google maps or earth prior to going.
[signature]
those places can get pretty busy with wheelers, there is a bunch of atv trails right there, if you have wheelers or a SBS you be set to fish miller flat, Huntington, cleavland, and can run down to potters pond, or keep going to joes valley, the river below miller is good to,

so many places not enough time and money to do it all[mad]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
don't forget gooseberry res, it is a blast in july when the blue dragonflys are there,[Smile] put a dropper under it at the south end at any weed line, there are some good fish in there
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
I have a 20 foot travel trailer I will be pulling up.
[signature]
I am now thinking of Ferrron reservoir. Not sure if it is too far for a two nighter. We would arrive on a Sunday leave on a Tuesday. I have to work Tuesday night.
[signature]
mayfeild canyon up to the top of 12mile is a good road the last time I was there, ferron res, willow res, but I would go over to duck creek res for the good fish, ferron to duck id kinda rough but worth it, there is all kinds of little lakes up there to fish,
you taking a wheeler?
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
To Ferron from the emery county side you are looking at about a 4 hr drive from slc. A shorter drive from san pete via 6 mile or ephrium canyon, But with the snow this year , and large drifts , those probably won't be accessable until the end of july at best as a route to ferron. Great camping and fishing when you get there though (Large steryl brookies in ferron, nice tiger trout and cutthroat in near by duck fork. Willow and wriggley are great lakes for planter type action for kids. very scenic area.
[signature]
End of July? I was hoping more like late June for Ferron. They must have a bunch of snow up there.
[signature]
You will be able to access ferron in june from the emery county side, But on average years the skyline drive areas can be iffy into july due to some areas where large snow drifts hang on. With the amount of snow up there this year those areas will be worse. Sometimes the forest service goes up with equipment and plows through the drift areas, but I would check with them before trying to access from the san pete side.
[signature]
[quote Lonnie] You will be able to access ferron in june from the emery county side, But on average years the skyline drive areas can be iffy into july due to some areas where large snow drifts hang on. With the amount of snow up there this year those areas will be worse. Sometimes the forest service goes up with equipment and plows through the drift areas, but I would check with them before trying to access from the san pete side.[/quote]

I remember the last time (2011) we had this much snow we encountered snow drifts covering half of skyline in spots over Labor Day weekend, and based on this year's snowpack and what I am seeing on the UDOT webcams up there(snowbanks still taller than cars) I will be very surprised if it opens up before August. [url "http://commuterlink.utah.gov/"]http://commuterlink.utah.gov/[/url]
[signature]
[quote MSM1970]mayfeild canyon up to the top of 12mile is a good road the last time I was there, ferron res, willow res, but I would go over to duck creek res for the good fish, ferron to duck id kinda rough but worth it, there is all kinds of little lakes up there to fish,
you taking a wheeler?[/quote]

It can be good, last fall that road was junk, there really wasn't any maintenance done with a grader last year.
[signature]
y it was pretty wash boardy when I was there last mostly just at the bottom area, atleast it don't get muddy.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
If the weather is good , I prefer to go up ephriam canyon and over skyline due to the 12 mile road being rough. Ephriam canyon is well maintained up to skyline. But in rainy weather the drive across skyline to ferron is iffy. However this year the big drifts near snow lake and jet fox may keep that section closed for a while
[signature]
How steep is the road up to ferron?
[signature]
Not Bad, pretty easy pull with a trailer. good maintained gravel road
[signature]
Good to know thanks.
[signature]