Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Starvation First
I decided that this weather was too nice to not go fishing.

I fished Starvation in my tube from 7:30 until 3:00 using fly tackle. I fish Starvation quite a bit and this was the first trip that I have caught more browns than rainbows. I caught one more brown than I did rainbow. I did not hook any of the cool water fish this time. The last trip the weather was overcast and that seemed to have the bass and walleye more active.

I used a slow sinking line with size 6-8 leeches, buggers, and soft hackles. The surface water temperature was 47 when I got there and 57 when I got off the lake. The water is still pretty clear, about 8' visibility. The reservoir is almost 82% full and rising.

There was a midge hatch that started about 8:00 and then about 10:00 the flying ants started to show up. By 11:00 the water was covered with them. The wind wasn't blowing so I'm not sure why so many of them ended up in the water.[:/]

There were lots of Loons again and the geese have got the kids tagging along now so there is a lot to watch while you're not catching fish.[Wink]
[signature]
Beautiful male brown! He looks to be in great shape. For some reason the Starvy browns I've caught have been a bit thinner than those 'bows.
[signature]
"For some reason the Starvy browns I've caught have been a bit thinner than those 'bows."

I have had the same experience. I've attached a picture of one that I caught on the last trip. Looks like he's been on weight watchers.[Wink]
[signature]
the reason so many ants were on the water is that they were mating and when the males finish they start to die.no fun being a winged male
[signature]
Thanks Deepcreek for clearing that up for me.

There were thousands of them on the water. It didn't seem to bother the fishing but birds and some of the ducks were enjoying them.
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1]...... For some reason the Starvy browns I've caught have been a bit thinner than those 'bows.[/quote]

Browns tend to be more streamline then Bows, and this time of year they are recovering from the spawn. Browns spawn in the fall to winter and bows in the spring.

Soon the Browns will pig out on crawfish, perch, stocked rainbows (LOL) and even mice and ....... Browns are the Pike of the Trout family. Long and lean, meat eaters. In another month, once they reach about 16 inches in length, they will outweigh a bow of the same length.
[signature]
Great report. I love Starvy. Just wish it was a little closer to home.
[signature]
[quote whit210]Great report. I love Starvy. Just wish it was a little closer to home.[/quote]

Thanks.

I wish it was closer too. It's just over an hour for me so it's not too bad.
[signature]
Excellent report!!!!

LT