Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak to B-17
After the great get-together at Willard Saturday, I took a "bucket list" ride on a B-17 Sunday. The Madras Maiden operated by the Liberty Foundation was giving rides out of SLC. Come along with me via pictures...

[Image: IMG_0982_zpsezmjjojs.jpg]
Firing up the Wright Cyclones

[Image: IMG_1008_zpsgovotwr1.jpg]
Right turn after takeoff, photo taken from the open-air turtleback hatch. Don't lose your hat!

[Image: IMG_1004_zpscq1hxvmp.jpg]
Sitting across from me was a man who flew in B-17s in WWII. It was too loud to talk, and he couldn't remember some details, but he was clearly "flying other missions" here. Crisp salute, Warrior.

[Image: IMG_1016_zpskb2pwvsz.jpg]
Top Floor! Menswear and Funny Clocks

[Image: IMG_1037_zpsasvtagzw.jpg]
The front office, where the real work of the plane was done.

[Image: IMG_1027_zpsbvsadvqv.jpg]
A pretty way to see Utah

[Image: IMG_1043_zpsy8h7pxxp.jpg]
The fabled ball turret - actually the safest place in the plane during combat, if you were small enough to squeeze in.

[Image: IMG_1057_zps2otrzw7n.jpg]
No bogeys today!

[Image: IMG_1099_zpscqultahf.jpg]
Mission complete!

This plane was built in 1944, too late to see combat. It was a research aircraft, was sold as surplus, then used as a fire-ant spray plane, sat as a museum piece, and was finally restored to do these flights.
[signature]
Cool, yesterday we heard a pretty loud plane flying around. It was probably this beauty.
[signature]
Congratulations Rocky on making that flight. I read the article about them offering those flights. How long did the flight last?
[signature]
Right at 45 minutes, Kent. Which works out nicely to $10 a minute. Worth it, too.
[signature]