Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek this morning
Fished the Main Creek arm of Deer Creek Reservoir this morning. Caught 7 bass and 1 trout--around 14-15 inches. The largest bass was 12.5 inches, which wasn't bad. I fished a sparkle minnow streamer (size 6) with a size 12 bead head prince nymph trailer. The interesting thing was the fish were about evenly split between the nymph and the streamer.

The morning was initially calm, with the occasional rise. It seemed like when there was more bug activity everyone in the arm would catch a fish or two, and then when the wind picked up the fish got quiet.

I am starting to think that flies will sometimes do just as well as soft plastics for smallmouths. And I'd much rather catch them on a fly!

As an aside, I'll add that people have been fly fishing the mouth of the Provo River for white bass the last few days. I hadn't seen that in previous years as much, but I have not yet found a way of doing nearly as well for them on flies as on conventional tackle.

Anyway, it was a good morning to get out. The lake and surrounding scenery are really beautiful right now, and the songbirds are singing along the shoreline.
[signature]
Great report. For those white bass try a chartreuse "Pistol Pete". I know it's not a true fly but they work for those whites!
[signature]
Great report. Where is the Main Creek arm at Deer Creek?
[signature]
It's the long cove that the highway wraps around, just past the Great Horned Owl Campground. You can access it from multiple points, including at the Wallsburg Group Area at the end of W. Main Canyon Road (which intersects with the highway).
[signature]
I have had great success teaching kids to fly fish using a purple zonker or yellow wooly bugger for white bass. Just as fast fishing as spinners or curly tails.
[signature]