Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What equipment for trolling?
What rod length/weight, reel, line and leader (and other gadgets) do you use for trolling at Lake Mead and at Willow Beach?

I currently own a number of spinning reels "rated" for up to 16lb mono and i have a few medium 5 1/2 foot to 7 foot spinning rods and I have two Eagle Claw screw on rod holders for my small aluminum boat.

I've just started to get interested in trolling for stripers and I'd really appreciate your input and suggestions.
[signature]
Never messed with Willow. As far as Mead anything medium is fine. Medium mod for cranks, medium fast or med/heavy fast for stuff with single hooks. I don't have anything specifically set-up just for trolling. I use whatever is on deck that is more LMB/SMB oriented and use it. My batcaster reels have 12-17lb fluorocarbon. My spinning reels generally speaking all have braid on them. 10-20lb braid then 12-17lb fluorocarbon for a leader (I don't troll with the spinning reels).

You'd be just fine keeping it simple and head out with a medium rod, 8lb mono and have fun. Trolling isn't the best on Mead due to the depths. The right time of the year when they are more suspended verse glued to the bottom will be key.

Tom
[signature]
Thanks Tom! I appreciate the Lake Mead tips.
[signature]