Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Yamaha Outboards?
So the quest continues for the right boat for my family.....

Does anyone on here have any experience with the early 90's large (200-225 HP) Yamaha Outboards? A lot of the stuff I've been able to find online seems to indicate they are very dependable unless used in salt water. Any real world experience on this site?

Looking at a boat that has one of these on it and want to get some thoughts before I pull the trigger.
[signature]
I work closely with the Utah State Parks and almost all of their boats have Yamaha outboards on them. The only ones that give the maintenance guys some fits are the 300hp 4 strokes. The older ones like you are asking about are great motors and literally run forever with little maintenance. Personally I have a 150 Yamaha in that is a 1994. I've considered replacing it with a 4 stroke, but it runs so good I just can't justify the cost. Plus its fairly economical on fuel and oil. Those early to mid 1990's were some awesome Yamaha motors.
[signature]
Mercury.... Mercury......Mercury.. The best on the water. Can't go wrong with a Mercury.
I've had Honda's, Johnson's, Yamaha's, Evinrude's, Suzuiki's. The best ones I've owned have been either Mariner or Mercury.
[signature]