Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gotta have "stuff"
Remember the early days of your ice fishing experiences? Just a bucket with the vitals included. But now ... sometimes I feel like I'm hauling all I own! Gotta have a tent, gotta have a heater, and a two-way radio, fish finder, folding chair, & a new sled to haul it in, and so on. I know I don't really need 5 pounds worth of extra Kastmasters in case of an emergency, but there they are!

So what's the most ridiculous item you haul that you could leave behind and make the chore easier?
[signature]
I could get myself in a lot of trouble answering this question.
[signature]
You know I was thinking the same thing...
[signature]
I'm like you, I always take tons of tackle. Extra jigs, line, bait, stringers, 3 pair of needle nose pliers, 2 hemostats, 5 packs of swivels, etc. etc, the list goes on.. Everytime I haul my sled back to the truck I catch myself saying "I gotta consolidate this stuff". Only trouble is, it never happens. I always think that when I do finally clean house that will be the trip I finally needed that extra stuff. I've resigned to consider it a very heavy insurance policy. You know "just in case"... Great post by the way![Wink]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]ANIMAL...VEGETABLE...OR MINERAL? [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I was thinking about that the other day, while scanning some oldtime ice fishing pics on Yuba Reservoir. Sled, bucket, one rod, small lure box, hand auger and I was good to go. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Didn't have an ice shanty or heater...but I stayed warm (for at least 10 minutes). Didn't have no sonar, but I still found fish (sometimes).[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Didn't happen to me, but I once saw a guy trudge out a big cooler on the ice...full of ice and soft drinks. Drove him crazy looking for a couple of palm trees between which to string up his hammock.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I can't list everything, it will take all day. But how about this for starters. A backpack with enough ice flies, kastmasters, sonars, about 60 jigheads of various sizes and shapes, about as many soft plastics for the jigheads. And I also have in that backpack about 20+ different kinds of soft plastics and Gamakatsu, eagle claw and other hooks just in case I decide to switch to bass fishing when I run into some hot spring.
[signature]
[font "Verdana"]New [/font]Philosophy with my fishing equipment - if I have it ALL along then, I have NO Excuses about not having the equipment to catch something.

Of course this only applies when I fish in my boat - that's face it I have too much stuff to haul it on a little sled.

Ice fishing is the exception to this rule - One Bucket, One Auger, One heater, One scoop, One lawn chair, One rod & reel, One lunch, One thermos, One sled, One .....stuff....

Well this is a DEEP subject.... I just better go buy my new park pass so I can get my stuff in the parking lot... See you at the boat show buying more stuff...
[signature]
"MY WIFE" she said it was ok for me to put that down. I asked before I started because she looks on here more then I do sometimes. so I said for the guys that wanted too.

anyway I use to be that way but now if I can't get it in the bucket I don't take it. I use to have the tent,sled,and all that. but a few weeks ago I thought "is a fish really worth all that" yes. but had to look at the $ thing first. now if someone would buy my shot gun for sale of trade on the for sale board maybe I could get back to dragging the house out to fish.
[signature]
Thanks nomoose.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]IFG.... hehehehe [/size][/font]
[signature]
I put the full size ice fishing sled on top of the ice house when I drag everything out. Besides what has already been mentioned I bring the aqua-vu, a small propane grill (for lunch) and a lantern in case I want to stay into the night. Sometimes I look at all the stuff on the ice and think I have gone crazy.[crazy]

Windriver
[signature]
Be honest, getting stuff is almost as fun as the fishing. You spot some item, think 'that might be cool to have'. You go home and the idea festers, so you get on the net and look it up. Now your dreaming about it, what color, size, price or quantity. Next thing you know it's 'I gotta have it, it's all I can think about'. This is where credit cards curse our lives. You order the dang thing. You wait feverishly for it to arrive. Then you paid so much for it, you better drag it out there with you or you'd consider yourself a fool. No one does that, so the cycle continues. On the upside it may actually help you catch fish some day, or at least help your great grandkids. This is coming from a guy who just bought a $280 reel, two $20 drift chutes and $25 dollars of discontinued crankbaits in the last 24 hours. But I needed it, honest, I swear. Sound familiar to anyone?. LMAO

Good Shopping, Kayote
[signature]
Just wanted to let you guys know that even if your wife reads this it is probably ok with her if they are anything like me understand what you guys go thru for us women folk who like to fish too. I know we can be a hassle sometimes and need alot of "extra care" sometimes but we appreciate you guys more than you know!
[signature]
I appreciate that mrsmoose. And I like the fact that my wife likes to go fishing with me. I have to remind myself how lucky I am when she's throwing bait at me because it seems like fun.

As far as stuff I could leave home, this is my first year ice fishing, and so far I've bought an auger, 2 ice poles and a shelter. I've already been working on lightening my load. The last couple of times I've gone out fishing, I had to have the dog help me pull the sled back up the hill. Makes me want to buy a snowmobile. Hmm, more stuff.
[signature]
Kayote,

Your post hits way too close to home. Anyone want to buy some Banjo minnows?
[signature]
kentofnsl,

That really is hilarious! Is there anyone that DIDN'T buy that?

HCD
[signature]
I wasn't going to admit it Windriver, but I sometimes take that propane stove too. A hot can of soup makes that half-frozen sandwich go down a lot easier!
[signature]
Is there really too much stuff ?? I thought he who died with the most toys won? did somone change the rules and not tell ME?? hey this isnt funny anymore why didnt anyone tell me?? damn I hat it when this happens, and i thought I read all the rules.. now I have to get rid of stuff, anybody wanna buy some stuff? [shocked]
[signature]
i travel light a bucket with stuff in it and a sled that fits in the box in the back of my truck and thats light enough to carry
[signature]
I pack way to much all the time . I just want all my toys to go with me if I break thru . LOL I am also good at leaving full plano boxes full of tackle at lakes I ice fish . That is how I lighten my load . I have caught myself carrying 3 ice scoops in my sled just in case with 2 heaters one mega heater with a small one . And just last week I had 2 fishfinders on the ice just in case . LOL !! Sometimes I pack all 9 of my ice rods , just in case . I don't know where I will find room if I get a power auger next season . Might need to pull a train of Jet Sleds behind me .
[signature]