Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's the Bait ?!
We live in NW Colorado but look to Utah to fill the majority of our fishing needs. We have lived in this part of the world for 9 years now after spending the majority of our lives in Iowa where baitshops is everywhere. Seems around these parts bait ain't the easiest to obtain since minnows are a no no. From what I gather leeches, worms, and larval baits are okay to use but where can we find them? Scoured Vernal and only came up with worms, some waxies/mealies, and small amount of frozen cut bait but that's about it. Where do the locals obtain your bait? Even up at the Gorge or Starvation it seems limited. Is there a secret? Perhaps a password? I dunno...

If all else fails I'll get a bait fridge and get my own bait but would prefer purchasing local when and where I can.[fishon]

Happy fishing and I appreciate any responses...

Al
[signature]
Sportsmans Warehouse has a good selection in both the frozen and refrigerated live crawly bait. Cabela's has some but not a good variety of stuff. You will likely be out of luck finding live leeches, I have not personally seen any sold in Utah.
If you are fishing the Gorge, there is a hardware store in Green River that sells just about every kind of bait and tackle specific to Flaming Gorge.
[signature]
Most places that will have a variety of bait wont have much so basically you best bets is fish tech, scheels, cabelas, and sportsmen warehouse. They usually carry worms, sucker meat, and shinners for the most part.
[signature]
what are you fishing for that you need ( Where's the Bait ?)

at Flaming Gorge for kokanee, Berkley Gulp Maggots and corn work good
for lake trout I don't tip my lures a lot but sucker meat you can buy at the Marina
worms for trout is not that hard to find also Berkley Gulp Maggots work for trout
frozen shrimp works some times.
their is a lot of soft bait out there
[signature]
Head down to grand junction. There you will find a sportsmans and a Cabela's.
[signature]
Just about every Maverik Gas station in Utah has a small fridge with at least night crawlers, and mealworms, or waxies. That's about the only bait I buy, worms. Use the worms to catch other fish that can be used for fresh cut bait. Like Carp for Cats.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Leaches are becoming a problem with a lot of states no longer allowing the importation of leaches. Many states, like Washington, specifically prohibit leaches or waterdogs crossing states lines due to a disease that they have been [#ff0000]alleged[/#ff0000] to have in some states.

[url "http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/vhs.html"]http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/vhs.html[/url]

[url "http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/vhs_virus_facts"]http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/vhs_virus_facts[/url]

It should be noted that I have never heard of any confirmed cases where leeches or waterdogs have been infected or spread the disease but states are not taking chances.

Now, back to your question, Bait. It is getting harder and harder to transfer live bait over state lines. Currently Utah has no restrictions as such (although tiger salamander restrictions pretty much prohibit waterdogs for other reasons). But, bait suppliers are getting shy. Also, it is tough to keep leeches alive for a season when a lot of fishermen in the West don't know just how awesome they are.

Otherwise, your best bets are the as suggested. Keep in mind you will never ever find a bait shop here like you found in the Midwest. Been there and done that, and I miss them to.
appreciate the responses. Lots of prohibited baits which makes live bait tough. There seems to be ample opportunity where live bait specifically minnows and leeches but even suckers and chubs would be great to be able to find 'live'. Catching these with consistency on a local level is nearly impossible. Warm water fish such as walleye, bluegill, crappie, perch, pike, small and largemouth bass, and catfish do well on live baits let alone trout.

from my experience Berkley gulp and other similar baits do ok but nothing close to the real deal. I'll look into these more and give them another opportunity and see what come happens. Otherwise sounds like my shop beer fridge will have some new neighbors moving in soon.
[signature]
Under the bait section on page 12 of the guidebook-

https://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-fishing-guidebook.html

You can't use live baitfish but there are several species of native minnows that you can either catch live and then freeze, or buy at bait shops. I've seen frozen redside shiners at a lot of gas stations near lakes. You can use live crayfish if they're caught on the water where you're fishing. Also, they're testing the new corn regs on several waters which includes Flaming Gorge. You can also cure eggs from any legal fish you catch and use them for bait, or just fresh eggs on the spot as long as you're not releasing the fish. Catch a big fat brown, clean her out, tie a glob of eggs to a hook with an egg loop and catch three more of her cannibal brethren, it's good fun.

Edit: Before you think about catching minnows and keeping them live until you put them on the hook, keep in mind that it's illegal to even posses live bait fish while fishing.
[signature]
In Vernal, you got it, night crawlers, meal worms, wax worms and occasionally spikes in winter and frozen sucker and chubs is about it. There are lots of minnows available in the Green and other streams in the area, but you have to know what you are catching due to the endangered fish in the area. I've not seen large leeches like you would be used to further east, but would imagine if you got some you would outfish other folks since hardly any fish in Utah have felt the sting coming from a leech. I rarely use bait other than tipping with Gulp. However, it was necessary to tip with a Gulp maggot or a crawler while trolling for rainbows over the weekend. We did our part to empty Steinaker of its rainbows [cool]
[signature]