Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Benson Marina trip #2
Got back out to Benson this morning, even though the weather report was kinda iffy. Started out cloudy, but no rain. Docks still not put in by Pacific Corp. Set up just off the first west side slough again. A few nibbles, nothing drag screaming. Finally one youngster kitty decided he just had to have the whole worm. Released. Took a few chunks for carp meat with me today, but nothing interested in it. Heard some splashin out around the barely visible island, so moved over. Only took about 15 minutes before one of the young carp decided the worm was more interesting than the lady carp that kept slappin him. Moved back over to the west side just above the slough and picked up another junior kitty. About then the clouds moved off and it got downright nice out. Since I released all the fish today, figured I would call it a day about 1 P.M. Got in the truck to back down the ramp, the rig parked next to me had a citation (I think) on the windshield. I had taken a bathroom break about 1100 and there was a DNR Ranger in the parking lot. Of course he checked my fishin license, noted that the boat registration was current, then asked me which truck and trailer was mine. I pointed out my GMC, and he said, "OK, you have your Invasive Species Annual Certification in the window, thanks." I said he was welcome, and went on my way. I guess the rig next to me was missing one.
(Lavaman, I hope that wasn't your rig. Yep, I got your note under my wiper blade, sorry I missed seeing ya. Hope you did better than I did today) But at least I kept the skunks out of the boat. [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I was trying to make it out there but the home projects kept growing.
[signature]
Hey glad you got my note. I saw you out there fishing in your boat, and I tried walking along that west bank out toward you but the ground was pretty damp and my feet were getting wet after the first 20 yards so I turned around and went back. Drove out to Cache Jct. and caught my first Channel- little 10" cookie cutter, and a carp....that was it. Headed to Mud Slough and nothing there, except an officer out checking licenses (probably the same one that checked you).
Funny..I've lived here for 14 years and that's only the 3rd time I've been checked.
We'll have to fish one of these times so you can show me the ropes. Been a bad year for me thus far.
[signature]
Well I'm sure you know more about that area than I do. And so far this year, that's the only place I've caught anything (except for a small carp on the lower Bear). 2 trips to Benson, 2 Carp and 3 Cats, and only one big enough to post on my contest page.
Yeah, funny.... been to Willard 9 times so far this year, not caught so much as a baby cat, and not been license checked even once. But been to the Bear River 2 times, and checked 2 times, been to Benson 2 times, and checked once. I guess when you are the only angler for miles of river, you aren't hard to spot. [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Hey Forest you guys did better than I did this last weekend... I went out for 3 hours on Saturday night thinking it would be a good night... Well, Bigriggs, his son and I soaked two rods each for the whole time, with only a couple nibbles to show for it, and by the time we picked up the rods the fish were gone and never returned... Kind of a disappointment after what I had seen the previous trip... Guess we need some good building heat to bring the fish back into feeding mode... Glad you didn't smell of skunk like I did... Later J
[signature]