Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow one at Utah Lake
I have been itching for things to warm up and to get back to UL for some catfishing. I am very new to catfishing, having cut my teeth on a few outings last year. I was confined to bank fishing and decided to try the dike at AF boat harbor, hoping the cats were in. It was pretty windy and a bit cool. I began at 4:30, starting on the end of the dike using chicken liver on the bottom on one rod and shrimp tipped with crawler about 3 feet under a bobber on the other. I tried the first spot for about 30 mins with no action. There was a couple fishing just around the dike in some calmer water and they were having sporadic success on worms. I moved around and down from them in water closer to the boat channel and a bit more out of the wind. I pulled the bobber and had both baits on the bottom. I got an occasional small tug on the line but no big bendo.

I tried a few different baits like a squid, straight night crawler, and even a chunk of hot dog. Ended up with just one bullhead on the crawler. It was cold and breezy, which may not have helped. I wish I had a few minnows or some white bass for some cut bait, but no dice. A gentleman next to me landed two nice cats on cut bait, but it was slow for him too. I pulled out about 8:30.

I'll keep at it, learning this stuff. Just picked up a nice float tube and I have read TubeDude's writing on Utah Lake and Tubin and Toonin, so I plan to put some time in the next few months really trying to improve my abilities to successfully fish cats. It is pretty addicting, and even a slow evening was still pretty nice.
[signature]
You could not have picked a better angler than TubeDude to learn from.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]During Mama Nature's mood swings the fishing can be very different from one day to the next. That is especially true if you are restricted to chucking your bait out from the shore. The cats move in and out with weather changes.

Congrats on joining the dark side...with a tube. Let me know if you need any help getting it set up for hand to fin combat.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Much appreciated. I may take you up on some of your pvc coaching as I get it set up. Thank you.

I think I'll be hitting the lake at least once a week through the summer, hopefully learning as I do.
[signature]