Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Catfish fishing
On May 27th, I went fishing today for channel catfish at Utah Lake. We started fishing at 11:00 from shore in the Lindon Boat Harbor and caught 8 small bullheads using shrimp. We left at 5:00 and decided to come back later that night for channels since we didn't get much luck. At 11:20 that night we caught a 27 inch channel. We threw out again and caught another bullhead. We were happy with the channel we caught, but I was wondering where is the best place to catch channel catfish in Utah Lake since I always catch bullheads and I prefer to catch channels?
[signature]
I use a bobber to keep my bait off the bottom about a foot or so that will slow down the bullheads some. Also try fishing next to structure. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people casting bait as far as they can when the cats are moving shallow to spawn. I mean sometimes I don't even cast out ten or fifteen feet to catch them.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[#0000FF]While you can catch some decent cats inside the harbors...after dark and after the boat traffic subsides...you will usually do better fishing outside in the main lake. Water levels are coming up well and the channels will be moving in closer to the rocky shorelines to spawn. As suggested, you can sometimes do well fishing fairly close to shore. But keep varying your casts until you find the zone. And keep moving up or down the shoreline until you find where the fish are.

Fishing off the end or the north side of the north dike at Lindon can be productive. Fishing off the outside (west side) of the main dike can be good too. There are always more bullheads inside the harbor than channels.

Shrimp is a good bait. So are nightcrawlers. But the most and biggest channels are usually taken on their "natural" foods...carp meat or white bass.

I am sending you a writeup by PM that should help a bit.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for that information document on utah lake catfish it will really help me. You must have put a lot of work into it.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sure did. Writing it was the hard part. It was fun and easy to catch the fish and take the pictures.

Good luck and post your reports.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]