Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bassin-Deer Creek 5\27
Started at 8am with water temps at 55 degrees. Finished at 2 with temps at 60 degrees. Smallies were chasing in about 10'. Not really anything in the shallows during that time frame. Quite the different lake now and it is wonderful.

I did have them decon my boat and the guy doing it said we have until January to be out of the quarantine period for mussels. He said they only found the microscopic ones the one time and that is what put it under a quarantine. They haven't found any adults ever. Seems like a lot of money spent on that "problem"
I get that it could be bad but c'mon. Thats a lot $ on their new facility to hose the boats down. I look forward to not having to decon next year because they are not going to find anymore.
[signature]
Now they have the cleaning stations installed for any boat that needs it before launching to help keep it clean for years to come I hope.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I always said it was very 'convenient', for lawmakers, that a bad sample was located at the most popular water in such close proximity to the largest metropolitan area of Utah.
That 'bad' sample led to every registered watercraft in Utah being charged a $10 premium to be registered every year.
I wouldn't mind paying the premium each year if it was shared by all water users, not just the ones using a motor.
[signature]
If $10 a year is your camel's straw, sell the powerboat and get a kayak. Be glad they spread the cost out over all powerboat owners, instead of charging you to decontaminate your boat each and every time you launch at Deer Creek or Powell.
[signature]
Definitely not heavy enough straw to stop a passion,
but definitely enough to voice my opinion.
I believe the cost of the program should be shared by all the lake users.
Does not the shore angler wetting his net or the family playing on DC's beach on Saturday then take that very same net, plastic raft, or soaked towels and also use them at Jordanelle the next day pose the same exact threat to a 'clean' lake as I?
[signature]
You are absolutely correct about the fact that anybody who gets wet in an infected lake can transmit the STD of the sea. You are also right that charging only powerboat owners the fee isn't quite fair. But how would you charge the others? Short of a flat fee on everybody's income tax, how do you fairly charge people who don't have to register anything to use a lake? It simply isn't feasible.
[signature]
It's not IMO a matter of charging a fair share. It's a matter of recognizing the highest probability carrier of the mussels to new water bodies. The most likely (and proven) transport is in the ballast, bilge and impeller of a motorized boat. To say that Family A's mesh bag of sand toys has just as great of a chance of spreading the animal as Family B's 26' ballast wake boat is inaccurate.
I imagine we will see a fee sooner than later though, in the form of a higher State Park day use fee.
[signature]
Higher entrance fee=pay to play.
[signature]
I like your way of thinking, a type of graduated fee schedule depending on the risk you present?
A wake board boat with a ballast tank and two impellers pays more than a fishing boat with an outboard with just one impeller.
Excellent idea.

Or, just due away with the $10 premium fee that was placed on marine engine owners and increase entry fees appropriately to anyone that touches the water.
[signature]