Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lone Rock Beach (shore or kayak)- Lake Powell
I am going down to Lone Rock Beach at Lake Powell next week with some scouts. I will have access to a kayak and am wondering if it would be worth it to pack my fishing rod. I have only fished Lake Powell once before and that was from a boat on a different area of the lake. I would love to get into any type of fish, but would especially love to catch some bass (any kind). Any suggestions on where and how to fish would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
[signature]
Were you not planning on taking your rod and fishing from shore anyways? I would always take my rod if I was going to be at Powell, I would think you should be able to get into some bass.
[signature]
I camped last Aug at Lone rock and spent most of the week fishing off my kayak. It's nice to just pull it on the sand and be ready to launch right away. We often had Stripers boiling near the shore in the evening so I left a top water plug on one rod all the time. I could make a cast to them if close or chase with kayak as soon as I got in.
There are 3 or 4 coves you can paddle to on the camping beach side from Lone Rock to Stateline Marina. All have bass in them. You can paddle out to Lone Rock and fish right against the steep cliff for Stripers or Smallmouth, just get out there very early or the powerboats get pretty sketchy around you. Every kind of fish there will eat a chunk of anchovies, but the Smallmouth are best caught on crankbaits and typical bass plastics.
One morning I got up early and fished my way from Lone Rock to Stateline Marina. I worked the rocky shorelines and caught plenty of Smallies. Once I got to the marina I dropped jigs with anchovies for Stripers and got a few then.
Over the week I caught LMB, SMB, Stripers, Catfish, Walleye and Bluegill all using the kayak. Bring your pole.
My family and I are headed back there in July and I can't wait, that place is a warm water fisherman's paradise!
[signature]
That is extremely helpful. Thanks! I was planning on throwing in my rod, but wasn't sure if it would be worth spending much time trying to fish. Sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities.
[signature]
As it hasn't been posted yet, this site is golden:

http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php
[signature]
It is actually against the law to go to Powell and not take your fishing pole.
Well, at least it should be.......
[signature]
Agreed! Fishing can be great around lone rock. You will regret it if you don't. I have also caught multiple species right in that bay.
[signature]